Just me, or Ram's back up lights really weak? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Just me, or Ram\'s back up lights really weak?

Had to back about a quarter mile down a rather snow covered road with ditches on either side last night. Really brought to my attention how bad the back up lights are. Just seem really weak compared to what my 92 Blazer's lights were. Anyone else noticed this on their trucks?

I know the cure could just be some of the super dooper back up bulbs you see advertised, just kinda making sure I'm not the only one.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 11:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Just me, or Ram\'s back up lights really weak?

AJMBLAZER-

No, you're not the only one.

The replacement 'sooper dooper' bulbs, though 55W each, still don't do the job as their beam pattern & the lens design of our Ram taillights are pretty pathetic.

Two good alternatives (I've tried both)-

1. KC Backup lamps-wide, far reaching beam, and they are small enough to disappear under our bumpers.They are also adjustable to customize your beam patterns.
http://www.kchilites.com/acb/showdet...11&CATID=4

2. White Night hitch mounted system-installs over your existing hitch.If your hitch is a factory unit, you will also need a White Night plug relocation plate.
http://www.stylinconcepts.com/parts....categoryid=114

I have both; the KCs put out a better light pattern, but I may replace them with the White Night system I have sitting around to make the wife feel I appreciate her Christmas gift [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

E-mail me at [email protected] for pics & any questions.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Cool, I'm not the only one.[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I found some LED backup light bulbs that JC Whitney carries. Gonna see if I can get them elsewhere, cheaper.

How do you get to the whole light bulb assembly, take those two little torx screws out on the inside of the bed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 02:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yup, two torx screws it is.

JC Whitney LEDs, huh? Should really light 'em up [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

JC Whitney carries some crap, but they also do carry a lot of name brand stuff and quality stuff. Their prices are just to much, to much mark up. I'll see what the local AutoZone and NAPA has to offer, and look at it there. Least I can return it locally if it does turn out to be not worth the effort.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 02:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Makes sense; my point, however, was that the location of the stock bulbs is what prevents high light output.No matter the type of bulbs, they will never be as effective as auxilary lights.

LEDs, by the way, may appear 'brighter' with less haziness while you are looking at the lit bulbs themselves, but are pretty marginal for actual light output; kinda like no matter what headlight bulbs one messes with, light output will never be equal to good auxilary lamps or a HID kit.

Keep me posted, kinda interested to see what ya end up with!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 02:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You can also go somewhere like Walmart and pick up some exterior offroad lights for about $19.99. I think they have an inline fuse and switch, but you just need to pick up your own relay. You could even pickup two sets for $39.98, and then a 4 way relay somewhere, and install all of these under your vehicle pointing anywhere you want. Then just run the switches inside. This will give you a lot more light when offroading at night, or doing something like you said, like backing up.

Not only that, but they are pretty cheap, so somewhere down the road if you break them, they are pretty cheap to replace. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Nothing at AutoZone. Figured as much though.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

There is a set of "Zenon HID" bulbs on Ebay right now. Kinda tempted on them, but price seems a bit high and again, like to see them in person first.

I'm kinda squeemish about the under bumper/body route. Not good if you climb over something and SMASH goes the lights.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Same for any errant rocks or logs on the trails.[img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Have to see, if I do, I'll probably try that trick that 4-Wheel & Off-Road had in their Cheap Tricks section a few issues back. The NAPA 100w aircraft light in the NAPA tractor light rubber housing. For $20 it can't be that bad.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Update..............better late than never. I got some 55 watt bulbs from JCWhitney and put them in early January. MUCH better. Yeah, it's only as good as other vehicles I've had with the factory bulbs, but I can actually see some now. Contemplating trying that trick that was in the back of 4-Wheel & Off-Road a few months back with the NAPA tractor lights' rubber housings and the NAPA 100w airplane lights in them. Relatively cheap, resilient, and bright. Dunno yet, I'm not having any problems so far.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 08:58 PM

I've destroyed a few sets of aux back up lights, I had them bolted to the bottom of my bumper and for a crazy 4 wheeler like me, they didn't last! I finially installed a set under the truck bolted to the frame rail angled to the opposite corners. They don't help much but there still there. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode