Poor man's lift??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 12:00 PM
Fasterthangas

Poor man\'s lift???

I have a 2002 Ram 1500 4x4. A fellow Ram owner suggested a $125.00 lift alternative. I really don't do alot of off roading, but would like a little altitude. He suggest that I crank front torsions to get a 3" lift in front. Then he added 4" longer front shocks. For the rear; he installed 2" blocks under springs. With this combo he runs 35" tires and has with no problems for 10,000 miles and seven months.
Can anyone point out any reason why I shouldn't do this other than a stiffer ride? Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 03:47 PM

Re: Poor man\'s lift???

Cranking the torsion bars that much is horrible on the ride and the truck. When the torsion bars are cranked that much the CV angles go all to hell you start prematurely wearing all of the suspension components in the front end and if you use 4 wheel drive that much and get on it a lot when doing this you will probably spit CVs out like their bad candy. JMO
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 09:09 PM
Mud in my Veins

Cranking torsion bars 1-1.5" is okay. 2" is very sketchy, 3" is an absolute NO NO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 11:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do the right thing and get a 3" BDS suspension lift rough cost 400-500 its WORTH IT! BDS warranty is FULL COVERAGE if it breaks bring it back they replace it! I own a 89 dodge ram 4x4 with a 5" suspension lift and I installed it last fall. the only problem i had was the plow brackets hit the font leaf but a lil grinding solved that and the steering block was pretty much rusted but a torch and some hammering and I was 5" higher and loved it!
I purchased a 3" lift for my 95 dodge ram from Planet Powersports in Coldwater,MI (www.planet-powersports.com)for $430. Ive yet to install it since its winter and i cant have my truck down since it too is a plow truck.

make the right choice and get a BDS lift!!

www.bds-suspension.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 12:01 AM
Fasterthangas

BDS does not make a lift for my 2002 Ram 1500 4x4. I refuse to pay the high prices asked on IFS lifts as well. Especially when they won't accept stock rim offset. Yet another expense. After doing my poor man's lift; I found out that quite a few shops in town have been doing the same thing. Cranking the torsions on a new Ram does not stiffen ride. You are only rotating the lower control arm downwards. You are not changing spring rate. Iff longer shocks are added; all is fine. My CV joints sit at a much better angle than the Chevy 6" lift kits with IFS. Toyotas have been doing this for years with much smaller axles and weaker CV's. Don't underestimate the Dodge IFS front suspension. It will never have the articulation of a solid axle, but I don't do much extreme offroading. CV angles can be corrected by simply lowering the differential and I have a shop at my disposal to do the task. My truck went in for alignment and went right back to stock specs. My ride is now better than stock with the ProComp 9000 shocks and BFG AT/KO's 315/70/17. I ran into the local Rancho rep at Offroad Unlimited and he agreed my CV angles are excellent and he congratualted me on a well done job. He had just installed the Rancho 4" IFS lift on his new Ram with 37" tires. He gained 1" more lift than me in front for well over two grand. I'm pretty happy with my accomplishment.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 08:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If I had to do a 3" suspension lift around that price, I would probably do Skyjacker. I know they make them up to 2001, i'm sure 2002 and 2003 probably as well. A 3" should cost you a hair under $500.

If you want to stay under $200, I guess a body lift may be what you want. Maybe coil spacers as well.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 07:29 PM

How wide are the 315/70/17's? Do they measure around 10" tread width and are they a full 35" tall? Thinking of them for my 03 2500 v-10!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 08:11 PM

Here is a calculator:
http://www.tyres1.com/calculators.html
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 05:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

They measure 34.4 x 12.4

Tire Conversion Calculating Form
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 03:24 PM
Mud in my Veins

Cranking your torsion bars does not change the spring rate of the torsion bars. What it does is put more tension in the torsion bars. How much did you end up cranking them? Just because an offroad shop cranks torsion bars doesn't make it correct. Remember most of their clientel are pavement princesses. Offroad Unlimited.............you in Socal?

Swamper, 315/70R17 is basically a 35x12.5R17.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode