Axle upgrade suggestions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 01:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Axle upgrade suggestions

I have a '83 Ramcharger with a 6" lift, 36's and 4:10's - off road use only more crawling than mud. I am going to run 38's now and looking at re-gearing. The lowest I can go is 4:56 with the 9.25 in the rear. The Dana 44 has lots available. Too bad I invested in a Detroit Locker for the rear already. The 4:10's seem to be better than the stock gears but would like some more RPM. Going with the 38s I would need to go lower than 4:56's.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Are there gear reduction kits for the t-case? That would be fine too since I am due for a rebuild cause of some chain slop. The only thing I don't like with the front is the long shaft is no longer available new. I do have 3 spares and try to collect throughout the year. Also I have a EZ-locker in the front that seems to not want to work with both hubs locked in - just ratchets, I unlock the right side hub and the left hooks up fine, need to replace that but do not want to invest in another Detroit. If I install a spool I would be fighting it and need to unlock a side to turn. The only thing that could handle the 38's would be a Detroit or spool, but a spool is kind of out of the question for the front, even being off-road only. Should I go back to open in the front? Bite on a Detroit? Swap out the rear and try and sell the Locker on Ebay? Looking for some suggestions here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 08:17 PM

Re: Axle upgrade suggestions

Sounds like you have a cool toy, any pics? My buddy Deano has a problem similiar to yours with the weak axle shafts on his 84 ramslammer, he breaks them alot! Got to find dana 60's, the only bad thing is the different bolt pattern but if you can find them then most worries will be gone... Good luck!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 10:55 PM
Mud in my Veins

38's are kinda big for half ton axles, especially while crawling.

What T-case are you using? There are low gear ratios available for the NV231, 241, and soon the 205, but I don't think your truck uses any of those.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 03:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have been thinking about looking for some 1-tons or bigger knowing I am pushing too big of tire for them. Do you know if it is possible to get an 15" 8 bolt rim? Have a brand new set of of Buckshots I want to use, but 15"ers. Just don't want to take on an axle swap project right now. I may have to if I don't get any other options though. I have not had any breakage problems beside the ones I could have avoided, such as front end landing when I'm on the gas - oops! With my 36's. The rear is as tough as they come for 1/2 tons, so it's a tough call to make. I am pretty sure my T-case is a 205, will check tonight though. If so, who offers them reduction kits? If I can get some gear reduction out of my T-case I could just go back to open in the front until I get my hands on some other axles and time to swap them out which I am sure would require some Enginnering for steering etc. Sounds like fun, but time consuming.

Thaks for you reply
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 03:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Pic of my ugly toy. It seems to be attracted to trees!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 978238-RC Dresser 02 d.jpg (35.9 KB, 15 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 05:38 PM
Mud in my Veins

Cool Charger.[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Wish the trails like that around here were still legal to wheel on.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Yes, pretty much everyone who makes a steel wheel makes a 15" 8 bolt wheel, usually 15x10, but I have actually seen a few 15x8's. I personally like the American Racing AR-767 black steelies.[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

The Chrysler 9.25" is the strongest specifically 1/2 ton rear you can get now a days. Kicks all over the Chevy 10 bolt and the Ford 8.8". It rivals the GM and Ford light 3/4 ton rear axles for strength. I think the old Ford 9" is about the only thing that might be a bit stronger. Still, you wanna run 38's and abuse it, go to 1 tons. That D44 isn't gonna take it. If you're breaking it now, you'll break it even easier and more often with 38's. No, I've never owned or run a tire bigger than 33's myself, but pretty much everyone I've talked to and read about on these forums who actually wheels their truck (and you look like you do) says 35's, maybe 36's for 1/2 ton stuff, and then you have to AT LEAST upgrade to a 3/4 ton rear. D60 fronts aren't the hot ticket for nothing. There's a guy over on the Chevy SFA forum here who has a 85 Chevy pickup with 35's who broke a rather large number of D44's, like 5+. He got a D60 and put it in recently. That's only with 35's, but he plays rough.[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I forget who, but there is a company coming out with a low range kit for the NP205. www.OffRoadDesign.com is going to be selling them. There was a big discussion on this over on the ORD board on www.ColoradoK5.com a while back. Many people are excited about this.[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 02:35 AM
Mud in my Veins

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
The Chrysler 9.25" is the strongest specifically 1/2 ton rear you can get now a days. Kicks all over the Chevy 10 bolt and the Ford 8.8".

[/ QUOTE ]

i hate to sling mud on the dodge forum, but i think the ford 9.75" 1/2ton rear would take the mopar 9.25" [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

also, people breaking 1/2ton axles with 35's are running lockers or playing hard on the street... i've seen 42" TSLs run on d44 fronts with no incident in the mud, but they certainly werent locked. it makes all the difference in the world. good luck.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 07:56 PM
Mud in my Veins

muddy, notice I said specifically 1/2 ton.

If I ment every rear axle put under a 1/2 ton, then yes, the GM 14SF and the Ford 9.75" would beat it rather easily in strength. Not even gonna bring up the 14FF's GM put under their "heavy halfs" in the 70's.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] The 14SF and 9.75" are light duty 3/4 ton axles that got sent down to the minor leagues for the high GVWR package 1/2 tons. Not common production. Anyways, to the best of my knowledge Dodge doesn't do that anyways. To bad, I wouldn't mind a 5 lug D60 full floater, hell, a semi floater would work too.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 10:09 PM
Mud in my Veins

9.75" comes behind all Triton 5.4's in 1/2 tons. All 7700lb F150s and F250 trucks get the 10.25", so really the 9.75" is exclusively a half-ton axle.... i win! [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2002, 09:52 AM
Mud in my Veins

I thought the 8.8" went under the F150's, and the 9.75" went under the high GVWR F150's? Isn't it the 10.5" Sterling now, under the F250's and bigger?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode