V-10 tranny on 440 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-05-1999, 06:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

V-10 tranny on 440

Has anyone heard of or know of anyone that has used a v-10 auto behind a 440?
Know of any drawbacks using this combination? I can only think of pluses.....Heavy duty enough to handle the torque of the 440 and can use the OD and converter lockup for some mileage. The only problem I see would be the converter to flexplate, finding the balance point between the v-10 torque converter and the 440 crank. Bolt up would be a matter of a 3/8 spacer between the block and bellhousing and the same amount between the flexplate and the crank. As for the computer, find what wires feed from the computer to the tranny to control shifting, OD and converter lockup and toggle switch them. Its either ground the switch or 12 volts to the switch. Any thoughts???? Steve

Mopar360yj
87yj+20,74CHR.030360,SOA,35BFGATs,46RH,241DHD,
D60-44-4.10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-06-1999, 01:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: V-10 tranny on 440

v10 trans to 440 is a bad idea. if you want a heavy duty auto trans get an Allison.We put them in medium duty trucks and
school buses up till 1977 when we stoped production of medium and heavy duty trucks.They came behind 361-3 and 413-3
or -4's.Some can be found in class A motor homes behind 440-4 engines. You will need the crankshaft also,361 is same
as 383/400 and 413 same as 440.If you can't find one I think I know where one is around here ...///GT

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-06-1999, 08:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

slibby,

Why do you fell a v-10 auto would not be good behind a 440??? Please explain.
Keep in mind I don't have all the room in the world to work with here. This setup would be going in a wrangler with 4x4. I have some extra room, cause its stretched 20 inches but I don't have any more room in the tranny area. I've seen the tranny your talking about and its huge and HEAVY compared to a stock tranny. I have a friend whos doing that conv on a dodge truck with a big chassis to spread lime on farm fields.

Mopar360yj
87yj+20,74CHR.030360,SOA,35BFGATs,46RH,241DHD,
D60-44-4.10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-06-1999, 09:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Why the need for a different crank for the Allison? Also how had is it to get the T-Case bolted to one, do you have to divorce it? I want to switch to an auto some day in my 1 ton but have been thinking 727 all the time, figure the Allison would be hard to get and harder to convert.

Mopar_Mudder
http://discover-net.net/~greener/truck.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode