Leveling coils? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Leveling coils?

Looking at the Skyjacker 2" leveling coils. Coil spacers are illegal here in Michigan, and I would much rather use full coils anyways. Thing is, the geometry of the leveling stuff seems kinda sketchy to me.[img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Wouldn't this cause problems with the axle and the ball joints? The axle would be moved back a little bit, wouldn't it? Stretching the control arms apart can't be good for travel either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 11:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Leveling coils?

I believe you will probably find what the law states as coil spacers and what Skyjacker is selling are two different items. The coil spacers that are illegal are probably the type that you wedge in between two of the coil wraps and prevents them from compressing....pretty sketchy. The spacers that companies like Skyjacker sell are very common on both the Ram trucks and other coil spring vehicles like the TJ and XJ. Regarding the geometry, I'm sure it probably is not ideal with just using the spacers but most basic kits for the Rams up to 3" do not provide replacement control arms or anything. Plus, the factory off-road package 1500's were about 2" higher and I believe they used the same control arms so you should be okay.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

The Skyjackers aren't a spacer, they're an actual 2" taller spring. They run about $150-160 from Summit, which actually isn't much more than most of the regular coil spacers. I'll probably end up with them. I remembered the Off Road package yesterday. So I feel a bit better about them now. Buddy of mine also pointed out that I was thinking of the coil spacers in terms of IFS and A arms, not a coil sprung solid axle with control arms. So most of my concerns went out the door right there.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Don't worry about the picture, just putting it up with this one to save time.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 961695-BigBear6flexy.JPG (21.4 KB, 11 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Just so everyone knows, or the few that read this forum anyways[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img], 6.2Blazer is right. I called up the local Dodge Dealer's parts guy and asked him about the control arms on the 2000-2001 Offroad package 1500's vs the control arms on the standard 1500 4x4 trucks. No difference, same part number. The Offroad trucks do just have taller springs.

Works for me. If Dodge does it from the factory, I see no reason for me not to do it. Now I just gotta start saving.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 09:15 AM

My 95 2500 has big springs due to the snow plow prep package. You could just put in 3/4 ton coils too for more height plus its better for when you add a heavy winch and/or winch bumper. I have a guy in florida thats supposed to be buying my old coils for $50 for his 1500 ram.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

I'm not looking for a stiffer spring, just a taller one. Going to see what the dealership wants for the Offroad package springs, but somehow I doubt it'll be less than $160 for both.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 05:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

As far as the OffRoad springs go, they are NOT taller; they have the same uncompressed height as the regular 1500s, but after installation, they make the front end of the 1500 sit higher because they compress less (stiffer).

I personally like the way the Off Road coils feel on & off road better than the regular coils.

2500 coils are really not a good idea, as they are either too stiff (not a good thing for off-roading, but better for towing/hauling) or actually softer than stock 1500 coils.

Finally, make sure that you get Off Road Quad Cab coils if your regular 1500 is a Quad Cab & Off Road Regular Cab coils if you have a Regular Cab. The driver's side coil is always thicker than the passenger side coil (they are not always tagged or marked).

You don't have to compress the Off Road coils as they are the same free height-just drop the front diff & replace them, and get an alignment + align your headlights.

Good luck, keep us posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode