318 to 360 swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-02-1999, 10:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

318 to 360 swap

I am new to the Ram charger/Trailduster community and am wanting to know if a 318 to 360 is a direct bolt up. The other message that I want to send is that any body in Iowa or the surrounding area should know that Hurst Auto Salvage in Spencer, Iowa has about 6 Ramchargers sitting in the yard ready to be picked clean. There is some good sheetmetal, a lot of good doors, rear seats, trim. I recently bought a 74 trailduster that was in great shape excepting for the usual rocker and rear fender cancer for $400. The drivetrain and engine were complete. The 360 turned right over with an oil change and some gas.

Own a '74 trailduster and am new to the whole Dodge/Plymouth vehicle scene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-02-1999, 12:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 318 to 360 swap

Yep its a direct swap. Just pull one out and plop the other in. Basicly they are the same block one just has a bigger bore and stroke. Have fun!! ;-)

Mike

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-02-1999, 12:59 PM
aarcuda

I thought the only difference was the passenger side motor mount....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-02-1999, 01:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Pretty much the same except one motor mount boss is about 1/2" different (I think the passenger side) and uses a different motor mount bracket.
The 360 oil pan is different, so if the 360 has a passenger car center sump, you will need a 360 truck oil pan which are avaliable new from mopar performance (with oil pump pickup, dipstick and tube), or if you only need a 360 truck pan and not the pickup let me know as I have two sitting around here.
I'm not too sure about this last point, but I think the engine block to transmission support on the drivers side may be longer for a 360 engine, but you can use a 318 support and a spacer at the transmission.

'83 RamCharger 4x4, '84 Ram 50 4x4,
'71 Charger, '69 Coronet....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-02-1999, 11:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you do put in a 360, be sure to use a 360 torque converter or you will rattle your teeth out. 360's are externally balanced so they need a torque converter with additional balancing on it. Or, you could go to a B&M ( I think that's who makes them) flexplate that is specially balanced to allow you to use a standard torque converter with your 360. Yup, the passenger side engine mount is different, oil pan is different, harmonic balancer is different, and technically, the exhaust mainfolds are different (2 1/4" outlet for 360, 2" outlet for 318"). Your 318 manifolds will bolt onto the 360 and work, just not as well as the larger 360 manifolds. Might also think about upgrading you radiator if your RC has the smaller one. Actually a simple swap once you get the right parts.
Good Luck!!
440trk

Mike (440trk)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-06-1999, 11:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just finished my 318 to 360 swap. I relaced the driver side motor mount, got a 360 oil pan, new harmonic balancer and new torque converter
(360 is externally balanced). The torque converter was a larger diameter so I had to replace the flex plate. I had the existing radiator
flushed, replaced all hoses and belts. I used a Mopar performance cam (450 lift) and a Q-jet carb. So far I have been very pleased
with this swap. The 360 has noticeably more power than the 318 and the mileage seems better (I only have about 1500 miles on this
engine so it's hard to tell yet.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode