90 Ramcharger still dying - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-29-1999, 03:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

90 Ramcharger still dying

Well, my 90 R/C still dies when you decelerate to turn, or stop. Accelerates fine, shifts fine, cruises at 55 fine (about 1850 rpm). And when it dies, it dies, no hesitation, just dead. Then starts back up. 85,000 original miles and I have replaced the MAP sensor, the computer, and had an idle booster put on and have checked the pickup coil and nothing. The dealer cannot figure it out yet. Thanks to the previous 2 respondents. Does anyone else have any ideas as to what is going on here? They have ruled out fuel system. I am about at the end of my rope. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-29-1999, 03:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 90 Ramcharger still dying

Id have em drop the tank to make sure some kids didnt put some golf balls/marbles in it that could be rolling around. Sounds like fuel to me

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-01-1999, 12:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Inspect for vacuum leaks...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-01-1999, 12:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

check for a peice of trash in the fuel line or fuel pump.check the tank venting system. try driving with out the gas cap
on if the problem goes away its the venting system...///GT

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-01-1999, 10:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the replies. If it is the fuel system, though, why would I not have problems accelerating and at cruising speeds? Why would it only be on decel and not everytime you decel? It is somewhat random. I am no expert, and have thought vacuum myself from reading things. Could fuel system be random, but only on decel under 40? Thanks

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-01-1999, 01:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't know much about the '90 RamCharger, but maybe the problem is in the EGR system. Under deceleration you will pull alot of vacuum which may stick the EGR valve open. If the truck idles a bit rougher than normal but runs good, check the EGR valve.

'83 RamCharger 4x4, '84 Ram 50 4x4,
'71 Charger, '69 Coronet....
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-08-1999, 10:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

To MeanMopar: Thanks, you hit it right on. I got my truck back last week and they blamed it on the EGR system. The explanation of how they fixed it was odd, but so far it seems to be working. What I can't believe is how I explained the problem to the dealer and they couldn't figure it out right off the bat! It took them two weeks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode