Axle and Gearing Questions Again - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 08:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Axle and Gearing Questions Again

First off, I have a Corporate 9.25" Rear Axle and a Dana 44 Front Axle, both geared at 3.55. For starters, is this corporate axle as good as, worse, or better than a Dana 44? The Ring gear is larger on the corporate than on the dana 44, so not sure if that means it's a little stronger or not.

Here are the specs if ya need them...
Corporate 9.25
http://dodgeram.org/tech/specs/axle/9_25specs.html
Dana 44
http://dodgeram.org/tech/specs/axle/axlespecs.html

This is on a...

1995 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 5.9L 360 Engine, 5" Skyjacker Lift, 285/75/16 tires.

Pretty much everyone has convinced me with my gearing and a bull for an engine, I can handle 33 x 12.5 tires easily. I've had plenty even say 35 x 12.5 tires will be fine.

Now the confusing part on the axles are, can I drop any gearing into them? I was considering just going to about 4.10 next year, if I need to. Is this an easy thing to do?? I've heard it would cost around $1K for the parts. I not a mechanic by any means, but i'm capable, so would probably do it myself.

Now let's assume I don't need it for 35 x 12.5 tires. What is the largest tire I can do, before you have to worry about changing the number of lug nuts? Is it 36", 37", 38", etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 11:02 AM
JCC

Re: Axle and Gearing Questions Again

285's are the same as 33's. I have read enough to know that I am not capable enough to change out r/p's. It requires some special tools that are pretty expensive. Im my area I had a price of 1,000 to change mine out and that included new gears and carriers. You can only go up to 3.73 gears with your stock carriers. I just traded for a Ram with off road package that came with 4.11 gears. JCC
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 11:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

For the Dana 44, it says...

Axle Ratio Options... 3.54, 3.92, 4.09

For the Corporate 9.25, it says...

Axle Ratio Options... 3.21, 3.55, 3.92

So does that mean I can go to 3.92 with my stock carriers. If so, do you just need new gears, and is that alot cheaper not needing new carriers?

Also, as far as the tires go.

285/75/16's == 32.8 x 11.2 tires.

So the height is about the same, but the width is about 1.3" thinner. I know 33 x 12.5's should be fine, but i'm more interest in going to 35 x 12.5's. My guess is the 3.55 gearing with my engine will be good enough. But would going to 3.92 help much? Or would it be better to go to new carriers and gears and go to 4.11. I probably have no need to go much higher, since 35's will probably be the biggest my truck will see.

************** Edit **************
Just got off the phone with a 4x4 shop.

Looks like the cost would be around $575 to change the gearing to 4.11. That is basically new gears, carrier, installation kit for the front(dana), and new gears and installation kit for the rear(corporate).

But they charge a whopping $900 for labor, OUCH [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Wonder how hard this is to do yourself [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
************** Edit **************
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 09:58 PM
Mud in my Veins

With ring and pinions, the basic rule is, if you haven't been trained to do them, don't do them. Lotta little things you need to know or you'll at best never get the gears set right and have lotsa little problems or at worst destroy the ring and pinion and a few other expensive pieces.[img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Ask SuperSwamper about this. He's had the ring and pinion of his D60's set several times by supposed "experts", and each time it's been goofed up.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 08:58 AM

The gear install is not real hard to do but getting it all set up to the exact backlash and pattern in which needs to be adjusted via paper thin metal shims and those shims go on the pinion and on the carrier, then the bearings need to be pressed on and all set up just to have to take it all apart to add or subtract some shims! The bearings need to be pulled off with a special puller, and usually this needs to be done a couple times for perfection. After all is done there is a BREAK IN PERIOD for up to 500 easy miles...

If your changing your gears I would not just go up to 4:10, there isn't much of a difference thats noticable when you also increase your tire size. I would go to the 4:56 gear, I believe its the biggest gear ratio available for your axles plus ask drivetrain warehouse to see if that ratio would bring your speedometer back to factory with 35's, meaning your speed is exactly on. My 38.5's with 5:13's were exact for the speedometer. 1hidodge has gone to the 4:56 with his old "rolled over dodge", if he is still around he could answer prices and hands on experience with it.

There is carriers that you can choose and all are around the same price +/- up to $100 which isn't bad, like open, limited slip or lockers. A detroit is the best locker but is pricey, there is cheaper types that are fine too.
Good luck and mopar to ya!!!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 10:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

This truck is my every day vehicle as well as off-roading. I think going all the way to 4:56 would cause me to lose my overdrive. Since I can already run 35's probably, going from 3:55 to 4:10 would probably be good enough and give me good gas mileage back. 4:56 would be overkill probably, since I may never go larger than 35's.

As far as lockers go, I did look at Detroit a little. Would probably cost me about $1200 in parts.

Just mho though, since I'm still a little clueless in this arena [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Also, as far as putting my own gears in, I don't think I will now. Too many people have said that it's too delicate and a newbie could easily not do it right.

Thanks for the advice...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 08:34 PM

Its all in the rpm's at 65mph with your choice of tire size. My 95 2500 with 38's and 5:13 in my dana 60's it ran about 2200 rpm at 65mph which is great! With your overdrive you can run those gears easily. Your best bet is to call drivetrain warehouse at 4 wheel wholesalers, they have a lifetime warranty on all gears and carriers, ask them what they think about your choices and have them tell you what your rpm will be with both gear options, the 4:10 and 4:56 plus any benifits between them. Tire size is the main player in what gear ratio you choose since as I said earlier it could make your speedometer right on the money in which could save you on speeding tickets... 800-269-6156
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 06:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks, i'll give them a buzz on Monday probably. Thanks for the advice [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 06:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

jflongo-

You can go 3.92s with the stock Dana 44 carrier.

It's OK to go 4.10 rear & 4.09 front - a 3% ratio difference is acceptable.

If you go 4.10s front & back, you will need a new front carrier for the Dana 44.

Going from 3.55s to 3.92s will raise your RPM for a given speed by 200, and from 3.55s to 4.10s will raise your RPM by 300. Real close.

33s do good with either 3.92s or 4.10s, but 3.92s seem to be the best compromise between acceleration & highway mileage.Not to mention you save on the cost of a replacement front carrier.

One last thing-engine power aside, you will be surprised at what a dog the 360 engine in our [email protected] truck is with 3.55s & ANYTHING over 32" tires when you make the switch to 3.92s or 4.10s.Makes it feel like they lost that 600lb gorilla sitting on the hood [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Good luck, and keep us posted.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 09:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I went ahead and called Drivetrain Warehouse like superswamper said [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

They basically said I could run 35's now, just that my truck may dog a hair. I practically have 33's now, since my 285's measure 32.8 x 11.2, and my hp & torque seem pretty good. They said a gearing around 380ish would put my speedometer back to the right area.

As superswamper said, they also said, 4.56 would probably be the best gear to go to. The cost is pretty much the same, but I would see much more power off the line.

I basically got a quote from them for new gears for my Dana 44(also a new carrier) and Corporate 9.25. This also included the master installation kit. They said this quote was EVERYTHING I need to go from 3.55 to 4.56. It came to about $525.

Now if only the wife would agree [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode