can i get better gas mileage - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-21-1999, 03:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

can i get better gas mileage

I bought a 86 R/C about 3-4 months ago. Right now it still has it's stock 360 with a quadrajet carb. It has 130,000 mi. on it and it runs great just drinks gas like crazy (8-10 mpg in town). How can I getbetter gas mileage? Thanks for the help!

[/email]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-21-1999, 12:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: can i get better gas mileage

Get rid of the Quadrajet (Chevy stuff), and try a Thermoquad (Used on earlier RC's) that maybe help a bit

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-23-1999, 05:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've had my 318, automatic, 87 Ramcharger for about 8 years now and don't think you can ever get much better than 8-10 around town unless it's all down hill. A good tune up, less restrictive exhaust,etc may net you 1 or 2 more mpgs but you will always suffer from the heavy non
aero dynamic box syndrome. A stock 4x4 ramcharger weighs about 5600 pounds. Bigger tires, full tank of gas, mine actually does hold
36 gals and tools in the back quickly pump the weight to over 6 grand. Lets face it thats a lot of truck to get moving. You can get a little better mpg by puting on smaller tires, taller rear gears, removing the front drive shaft and stuff but that kinda defeats the purpose of getting a Ramcharger in the first place. Best highway MPG I ever got was 15 and that was steady 55mph for a couple of hours. Over hear in Germany driving on the autobanh at about 75mph (they aren't much for highspeed handling either, but will clock over a hundred if you good enough or stupid enough to go that fast) I get 13 to 14 mpgs. An over drive gear in the tranny would help out on the highway but wouldn't be much help at all around town. Guess you 'll just have to be happy knowing you have a soild truck to enjoy.
That's my say on the matter but who knows someone out here may have a solution that can save us all a few
bucks.
PS I've also driven a few Broncos, Blazers and Suburbans and they aren't any better in the gas milage department.

Dave

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-26-1999, 08:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have an '87 318 auto, 2bbl carb (2wd) and she gets 12 at best in town 16-17 at freeway speeds unloaded and 12 hauling a 4500lb trailer on the freeway, go figure.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode