dont try at home! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-13-1999, 01:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

dont try at home!

87 RC over-charging with ammeter pegging on the high side. Turn on all accesories to bring meter down. Get to the house and consult manuals. One sez bad cell in battery. Swap batteries, no help. The factory manual sez grounded or disconnected field in alternator. Start RC and disconnect positive terminal on battery, making sure cable does not contact anything. Get back in vehicle and increase rpm's. Ammeter goes up, all courtesy light bulbs explode, voltage regulator does its immatation of a bbq pit and I get lots of bouncing sparks in the floor board. Take life time alternator for exchange, replace voltage reg, courtesy lights (3), and 3 fuses. Hookup, buttonup, and restart RC. Ammeter resumes regular operation. Turn on headlights, RC dies and refuses to start. Replace Elec control module. All ok for now. Visual inspection showed no melted wiring.
VERY lucky.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-13-1999, 08:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: dont try at home!

ouch

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-20-1999, 09:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Same thing happened to me with my old B200 van. Voltage Reg. was the culprit. BUT, I found our years later that the firewall connector lead for the ammeter wire got so hot that it melted the connector housing around it. Eventually the connecton became intermittent and caused a symptom that made me think the reg. was gone again. You might want to check the connector.
George

Geo. - 87RC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-28-1999, 01:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sounds like the voltage regulator or alternator field grounded out.
Disconnecting the battery cable allowed the alternator to output full voltage, likely way over 20 Volts. When the alternator is over-charging, the battery will try to keep the voltage down to around 16 volts or less.

'83 RamCharger 4x4, '84 Ram 50 4x4,
'71 Charger, '69 Coronet....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-28-1999, 05:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It sounds like your regulator. When mine went out the wires that connect to the ampmeter cought FIRE and melted the guage and the dash then it fried my battery. Smell the battery see if stinks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode