Coolant Leak - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-11-1999, 01:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Coolant Leak

Hi all. I have a coolant leak somewhere in my 85 Ramcharger and I can't figure out where it is. I've checked all the hoses and it doesn't seem to be coming from any of them. It's not coming from the radiator either. Does anyone know where else it could be leaking from??

Any help would be appreciated since I'll be putting my other car away for the winter and need the Ramcharger.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-12-1999, 12:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Coolant Leak

Possibly from the water pump. Around the gaskets of the water pump. May have a cylinder head warped or bad head gasket.. Check for a cracked heater core. Hope that helps some, good luck -jim

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-12-1999, 01:10 PM
aarcuda

do you see it on the ground? if so, where under the truck is it? could be a freeze plug (could be a freeze plg at the back of the block by the flex plate-check the bottom of the bellhousing for fluid), heater core, the water pump (theres a little hole under the snout on the water pump. when the seal in the water pump goes, it leaks there). if you don't see it on the ground but are losing fluid, i bet you are burning it up in the cylinder (ie bad head gasket)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-12-1999, 01:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My 90 Ramcharger had that. It was coming out of the weep hole in the water pump. You can see it on your belts and the belt flywheel. It is located on the very bottom of the pump. Stick your finger over it. It is not very big, but you will feel and see fluid on your finger. It will only get worse, b/c your seal is going out. Good luck.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-12-1999, 01:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes the coolant is leaking onto the ground. To me it seems like it's leaking somewhere above the oil pan. The leak drips from an area right in front of the oil pan. I guess I don't know where the bell housing is. The leak has gotten worse. It didn't leak until I put in a new thermostat. The owner before me apparently didn't think it needed a thermostat because when I went to install the new one, there wasn't an old one to take out. I'm guessing he took it out because of this leak. Since the thermostat was put in it's been leaking. I suppose before it didn't build up any pressure so it wouldn't leak. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong.

Help!!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-12-1999, 06:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

First of all the bell housing is the part of the tranny that attaches to the back of the engine. If you crawl under and look at the tranny right behind the oil pan you should see a bell shaped object. At the bottom attached to the face of the bell(housing) you should see a flat plate covering it. At the vary bottom you shuold see a smaller plate With 2 bolts holding it. If your leak is here and it is bad enough you will see traces of coolent around the small plate and the bottom of the bellhousing. If your not sure remove the small plate and fell around on the inside bottom of the bellhousing if you see coolent this means that one of your soft/freeze plugs is leaking. This is a vary inexspensive part but you will have to pull either the engine or the tranny to change it. If your leak is at the front of the engine it's most likely the water pump seal. Check everyones suggestions thuroghly your bound to find your leak. If you do have to change the soft plugs on the back of the engine, save yourself a future headache and change the front tranny seal to. T

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19-315-ramch40w.jpg (6.9 KB, 4 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode