Steering Column - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-09-1999, 04:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Steering Column

A friend of mine has a 1977 Ramcharger with NO tilt steering. Thinking all those years were the same with pickups and RC, he bought a 1979 PU tilt column. Then, as an afterthought, he called the Dodge dealer. they said the 79 column wouldn't fit. Can anyone tell me if these are interchangeable. I have no respect for that dealers parts house. They know absolutely nothing about anything I ask them. You guys know more than they do , so please help. Thanks. Ross

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-11-1999, 12:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Steering Column

Hey Ross, If memory serves they are right this time. I swapped my 74 R/C body onto an 84 frame. The steering column at first glance seems to be the same but after closer inspection the placement of the rag joint is different and the coupler also different. The 74 has the coupler and the rag joint very close the 84 has the rag joint about 12-18 inches away from the coupler to the steering box. There is probably an easy way to make it work but I just used the 84 column. I also own a 79 R/C the shaft in that is the same as the 84 I don't know when the change was made. As I think about this the frames are almost identical and the power steering box is in the same place the dash boars are also almost interchangable. If you used the tilt steering column and got the after market shaft from flaming river or borgeson it should all fit together propperly.Another point of difficulty would be where the column is secured to the dash board. You will or may need different bolts. The electric conection is something to consider also. Look at all components before you jump. Good luck Joe

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-12-1999, 06:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Makes sense. The Borgeson shaft is listed as for '79 - 93, as I recall. 1979 must be the year they switched the rag joint from the steering gear to the column end.

Dodge Section Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-12-1999, 08:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bingo the colomn/gear box was changed in late 78 for the 79 model year. the newer gear box is pron to leakage and is notoriose for having a lot of slop and wander( although I have never had wander problem 1 in 79 RC. However it leaks like a rusty bucket if you leave it set. As I understand it the Borgeson and Flaming River units were designed for 79 and up because of the sloppy box. If you can safely modify the older box to work W/one of these after market units you could have something super stout and dependable. The gear boxe's mount differntly they are easy to spot through the wheel well. Have Fun T

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-12-1999, 11:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey, me again.
I just re-checked the 79 tilt I plan to install in my 76 ClubCab. The truck I pulled the tilt out of must have been an early 79 from what everyone else is saying. My tilt definately came out of a 79 (goofy quad headlight setup, newer style flat hood....). Anyway, It has the rag joint at the steering box, just like my 76 does. I am planning on using the dash wiring out of the 79, so all of the tilt's odd connections will work. For what it's worth, The 79 was a 2wd. Don't know if that would make a difference of not....Don't know what else to tell ya. Good luck and keep us posted.

Mike (440trk)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode