need help with lift, tires, and power - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-08-1999, 04:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

need help with lift, tires, and power

I have a 86 R/C with a 360. I want to lift it and put bigger tires on it. But this is my first 4*4 and I don't know what I need to do. I was thinking about a 4" lift and running 33"s. But what things would I need to change to get some power out of it. Eng, gear ratio, trans. ect.???? Any ideas? Thanks magjj1.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-08-1999, 12:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: need help with lift, tires, and power

I have a 74 Ramcharger and used the Rancho 4" kit and run 33's. This seems to be a good combo and it works really well off-road. I personally would look for a kit that comes with leaf springs in the rear instead of using blocks (like the Rancho), due to the fact that Dodge has blocks in the rear from the factory and stacking blocks for a lift is not a real good idea. The next modification I would look into would be changing axle gear ratios. I have 3.92's and with the 33's even that seems a little too high for off roading. I'll, probably go with 4.10's or 4.56's when I change them. A lot of Dodges came with tall (high) gears from the factory like 3.21's. If you go from those to 4.10's you'll notice a huge difference.

Hope this helps

John
98 Dakota 4X4 V8 5" Lift 33" Swampers
74 Ramcharger 4" Lift 33" BFG MT's
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-08-1999, 11:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: need help with lift, tires, and power

I have an 85' RamCharger with the 360 in it and the 727 auto. There are plenty of good lifts out on the market for these trucks. However, if you go gonzo and lift it real high you will probably have driveline woes. So in my opinion I would stay at or under 4 inches. Superlift makes a good 3 and 1/2 inch kit for these trucks and the 5 inch kit from superlift is also nice. I have seen RamChargers do fine with the 5 inch kit and others have driveline problems so it varies from truck to truck. As for tire size it also is a relative topic. I have run 33 inch tires on a stock RamCharger before and have had no problems with them. However, these tires like many, do not measure 33 inches high. The only tires that I know of that measure what the side wall says are the Swampers. So with a lifted truck of about 4 inches you can fit at least a 33 inch Swamper and probaby a greater size of another brand (according to my experience, but no promises here on tire size). The 360 is a good reliable motor and has decent power. The factory exauhst system is very restrictive so a pair of aftermarket headers and some free flowing mufflers would help the motor breath better. An electronic ignition system such as the Jacobs unit woudl also help the motor run stronger. However, the most noticeable difference in power would be changing gears. The gears in my truck are the factory 3.21:1 and its slow. I think the other option that year was near 3.5:1 which is also lousy. Considering your truck is one year older than mine you probably have tall gears too. So changing to 4.10:1 would be a vast improvement over the stock gears. But the lower gears will give you a high revving motor on the highway and mileage might not be as good (not that its an economy cruiser now, but it could get worse). Hope this helps.

MoparMan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode