HOTT!!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-05-1999, 12:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

HOTT!!!!!

My 318 gets very hot when I let it sit and idle. I put a new 3 core radiator in, new water pump, thermostat, and manual temp gauge. I also have flushed the system a few times. When you drive it down the road it only runs at 205 but when you let it sit and idle for about 10 minutes it heats up to about 250. This is not good. I don't want to cook the motor. I need help. Does anyone else have any Ideas? Please.

Mopar_or_nothing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-05-1999, 02:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: HOTT!!!!!

When you flushed the system did you flush the engines water jacket as well? If not I would do that. You arent running real lean are you? Mine(360) runs 190 all the time stopped, driving or rockcrawling.......-robo-

Check out my site at http://www.zianet.com/robomeag/index.htm [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-05-1999, 12:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do you have a clutch fan? If so, that is probably your problem. Put in a new one, and ten to one, your problem's solve. I had the same prob. in my Suburban, which ran cool for 10 years. After 10 years old, it ran cool as long as it was moving, the overheated at idle. Put in a new clutch fan, and never goes over 190 or 195 without the fan coming on and cooling it right down, real quick. Good luck. Let us know how you solve the problem. Others might benefit, too. Ross

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-05-1999, 07:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Both of these guys are on the money. Another sugestion is that if someone has taken the fan shroud off find one and put it on. The joker that had my RC before me hosed one moter and that was as much a contributing factor as anything. It's not a big deal when your moving, but it makes a difference when your setting. T check the attachment 99 RC not sold in U.S>

T
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19-254-ramch40w.jpg (6.9 KB, 3 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-05-1999, 09:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Where is your timing set at? If you are too far advanced, that could be the problem too. What temp. thermostat are you running? Your engine temp should NEVER go more than a few degrees over your thermostat. My $.02 =)

Mike (440trk)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-08-1999, 11:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had the same problem with my RC that trailduster had. The fan shroud had rotted away and the motor heated up when I wasn't moving. I finally put on a shroud and it runs the same temp. all the time. And its cheap and easy to do.

MoparMan
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-15-1999, 04:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm glad (not really) that somebody else is having the same cooling problem that I've been fighting all Summer here in AZ. I done everything that has been said it the other messages, to include installing a electrical fan which helped, but if i sit in stop and go traffic to long it will climb. Next step is to install a EGR system on it. You might check timming at base (vac not hooked and plug carb) and total w/vac hooked up. I had to set my base a 2 degrees btdc and a total of 50 (kinda high huh). This also help my pinging go away. Just for everyones info my was the 78 rebuilt. and know has 10 Grand on it.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-15-1999, 07:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Is there any chance that is a rebuilt engine? Had one like that before. The engine was overbored too much. Did you put in a new fan clutch? What about the water pump? Won't do any good to have a water pump that is too small for a three core radiator, and it won't do any good to have an oversize pump with a small radiator. Do you have an oil cooler...preferably a remote oil cooler? Is the carb too rich and the timing off. Are you running some kind of stupid after market gimmick spark plug that isn't working with the rest of your system, especially if you have MSD or Jacobs electronics? Remember to gap those plugs according to instructions if you've change your electronics. Use only copper plugs. Are you sure there are No kinks in the hoses, or a clamp isn't on wrong? Do you have a flex fan? A good shroud? Are you running the proper thermostat? Don't run without one!!!!! If you can't find the anwer here, then you may have something wrong with the motor itself. Post to the other Dodge site at http://www.offroadexchange.com/_modDodg/dodge.htm and to offroad digest at [email protected] and see if you can drum up some more help. good luck. ross

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode