diff & trans - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-02-1999, 01:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

diff & trans

"84 RC with Mopar 9 1/4 diff. makes growling sound when turning left or right. Have been told that the rear wheel bearings
are failing. If this is true, is it a big deal to replace them? The recommended diff. oil for my 94 Grand Cherokee with a towing
package is synthetic 74-140. If a person were able to find this stuff, would benefit in an old truck pulling a horse trailor.

The recommended trans. oil for the '84 727 is Dextron II, but it seems its no longer available. The '94 Jeep with its
727 with overdrive, recommends ATF . Turns out Valvloine has replaced ATF with ATF 2 and later with ATF 3.
The blue plastic bottle says" ATF 3 is a quality engineered fluid designed to meet the specific requirements of Chrysler Automatic Tranmissions". Would any of you take a chance with this stuff in a truck with over 200K miles?
ATF .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-02-1999, 10:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: diff & trans

Can't help with the Cherokee stuff, but the rear axle bearings are pretty easy to swap. Not to mention the at they are pretty cheap...........However, depends how bad your bearings have gotten. My 76 had worn into the actual axle. So I had to locate and replace the axle in the process. Not a big deal, but just something to think about. As far as the rear bearing itself goes, you have to jack up and safely suport rear of vehicle, pull the rear brake drum, drain the diff fluid, pull off the dif cover, remove the spider gear cross pin (small bolt holding in). Push in on the axle and then pull the 'c' clip from the ring/pinion side of the axle. Slide axle out, use slide hammer to remove old bearing/seal, drive in new bearing and seal and put it all back together again. Put in new diff fluid. I haven't tried this with a Sure-Gripped 9 1/4, but my open rear was no problem. =)
Hope this helps

Mike (440trk)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode