Bed liner fact or fiction - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-28-1999, 07:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bed liner fact or fiction

I am looking at getting a bed liner for my '99 Dodge Ram. I have heard some rumors in the past that materials used to make bed liners can generate static electricity. I was informed that a few incidents occured where people were carrying gas cans in the backs of their trucks, and that the can/jug slid around and it created an electrostatic charge (spark) and set the can on fire. I was curious if anyone else out there has heard these rumors?? Also, is there any brands of bed liners to stay away from? Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-28-1999, 09:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Bed liner fact or fiction

Thats a good one, never heard of that. Have had bed linners in out last 4 work trucks and will never go with out one again. I think someone had too much time on their hands when they thought that one up.

Mopar_Mudder
http://discover-net.net/~greener/truck.htm
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-28-1999, 10:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i worked in a truck accessory shop for a year. we sold "penda" liners and a few "duraliners". the 'duraliners' came with a warning sticker that stated this fact. never noticed one on the penda liners but that is not to say thay they cannot generated the same problem

Hickory Plains Mudway, Inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-28-1999, 11:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If i were you i would get the rubberized spray on bed liner it sells for 100-150 dollars if you want it done by a pro it will cost about $200

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-28-1999, 01:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The plastic liners are more durable and take more abuse, no question about it. The srayin looks better and has its advanages. (Yes I do have both)

Mopar_Mudder
http://discover-net.net/~greener/truck.htm
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-28-1999, 05:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

This is a real danger. Worth keeping in mind, it would suck to blow up!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-28-1999, 07:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It's true. I have seen an article or two regarding this matter. Also, DO NOT FILL a gas can that is sitting on plastic liner. The Static created between the liner and the can when filling a gas can will occaisonally create a spark which will ruin your day...

Mike (440trk)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-29-1999, 02:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Bed liner fact

It's true. In fact, they now have warning labels on gasoline pumps stating as much. As far as liners go, Rhino-Liners are the best. They can take a decent amount of abuse, and I don't think they create this static electricity. Also, they're permamently attached to the bed, so the wind can't catch them and throw them on the highway (I've seen that happen more than onfce with the plastic ones). Also, they won't warp in the heat. In addition, they're guaranteed for the life of the truck, so if you do abuse it too much, you can just go back and get it fixed.
Good luck!

The Warden
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-30-1999, 02:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey guys I know I'm lurking over here, but I'm in the fire business and wanted to provide some info.... The problem with filling the container in the bed is that the filling process creates static electricity, and it doesn't dissipate enough through the vehicle. This buildup of SE can then allow a spark to generate between the metal fill nozzle and the plastic gas tank neck igniting (violently of course) the gas vapors that are present. Placing the container on the concrete slab will allow for adequate SE discharge without a spark, but always make sure that the gas pump fill nozzle remains in contact with the gas can fill neck so as to make a good "bond" between the two so that they can swap the SE without creating a spark. As to the filled gas can just sitting in the back of the truck, not a worry. Even if the sliding around does create some static elecricity, there's no ground for it to go to, and with the lid on the gas can, no vapors to ignite. With the gas can sealed up, the vapors in the tank will be too "rich" to ignite. Sorry for the long book, but just my $.02 worth.....

I've had a drop in and spray in bedliner - the spray in does seem to work better against abrasions, and looks much better. The drop in's seem to have better dent resistance, but create significant paint loss due to movement between it and the truck bed when driving.

Happy wheelin'

<font color=green>GreenZ71</font color=green> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-04-1999, 02:31 PM

Since it does create static electricity, I believe anyone with a gas tank (or other explosive/flammable liquids) should run a ground wire from both the truck body (metal) and the plastic bed liner. This will dissipate any static electricity that may exist. Chemical hauling semis and similar vehicles use grounding. It is recommended (standard operating procedure in most/all chemical plants, etc...) that anytime any flammable/explosive liquid is being transfered into any container that the container is grounded to the tank that the material is being transferred from, so as to eliminate the fire risk. Just my $0.02

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 GMC Suburban 4x4 and '85 GMC S15 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode