'87 Ramcharer Fuel Capacity - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-26-1999, 08:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

\'87 Ramcharer Fuel Capacity

I just purchased a 1987 Ramcharger to use as a tow vehicle and I have been lurking here for a couple of weeks and soaking up all this SAGE advise re: engine mods, swaps etc. and feel like I have a handle on the direction I want to go with the engine but every once and a while I run across a mystery that seems unsolvable. I have usually found the answer here or the other board that is "Mopar" based or in the Haynes manual but I'm stumped for now. What is the fuel capacity of an 87 Ramcharger and was the factory tank pastic? I read some where it was 35 gal. so when I filled her up and she took 22 gal and the gauge didn't go all the way to full, I assumed that the gauge was off and I still had 10 gal left. The next time I let the guage go lower and she started to cough and sputter a bit and act like she's running out of fuel, filled up again and 25.4 was all I could get in. I could see the fuel in the neck so I know its FULL. Do these vehicles have floating pickups and is it possible I have 10 gal of water in the tank or what? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS: Anyone out there have an Owners Manual (GloveBox Manual) for an '87 RamChgr?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-30-1999, 01:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: \'87 Ramcharer Fuel Capacity

Have a '84 RC with a similar problem. The factory manual says it has a 35 gallon tank but have never put more than 28 gallons
in it. I've never run it completely dry. The vent that runs from the top of the tank to the charcoal cannister under the hood
appears to be plugged. It's possible there is a checkvalve in the line although my manual shows none.By the way the tank is
plastic. If you find the answer, please pass it on.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-30-1999, 11:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I spoke with an other fellow who said 26 gal but when he checked his build sheet it said 35? He said he's never been able to put more than 25 in his. I guess we still have a mystery but when mine begins to read "E" I'll damn sure believe it now. ;-)
Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-02-1999, 07:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just bought a 1985 Ramcharger a couple of weeks ago and was told that it has a 35 gallon tank on it also. Today I went to fill up and I could only get 24 gallons in. My fuel gauge was at about 1/4 full.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-04-1999, 02:15 PM

Just out of curiosity, has anyone of you pulled the gas tank, drained it, and took gallon containers with gasoline (water, i'd assume works well as well, and is more readily available and easier to dispose of just make sure all of it gets out of there when you're done. I realize i probably didn't need to tell you peoples that, but figured i'd throw it in there anyway) and see exactly how many it takes? If anyone ever feels like doing this, let me know the results. I just like to know a bunch of stuff about other makes and models of trucks than I own.

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 GMC Suburban 4x4 and '85 GMC S15 4x4
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-06-1999, 11:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have tested the fact with my 87 RC and know that it is a 35 gal gas tank, and yes they are plastic.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-07-1999, 11:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've put 32 into my 79R/C. My gauge was reading under empty.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-07-1999, 04:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I always ran my 76's under E on the gauge. Right after I bought my 87, I was cruising along knowing I had the 35 gallon tank, and was getting at least ten mpg, when low and behold the gauge hits E and I sputter to stop. My dearest wife then picked me up and I returned to the truck with a 5 gal can. Two miles to the gas station and filled it to the neck with 25 more gallons...

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-07-1999, 10:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well . . . The mystery continues! I really don't want to pull the gas tank so I reckon I'll just believe the durn gas guage and when it starts to get on toward "E" I'm going to fill it up! ;-) I am going to put rear shocks on her this weekend and while I'm down there pokin' about I'll check the vents in the fuel system. Who knows, I may just find out what's up here.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-08-1999, 04:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

There shouldn't be any atmospheric vents anywhere near the fuel tank. There is a vent line that runs from the top of the tank to the top of the filler neck, this allows air to vent from the tank when you are filling up, should this line get kinked, collapsed, or what ever you will have trouble filling the tank to capacity.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode