Warn hubs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-26-1999, 01:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Warn hubs

I have 82 shortbed 4wd with a dana 44-8f with automatic hubs. They decided to stop working at the worst time (rear bumper on a rock and high centered on rear diff.) I ordered a set of Warn standard hubs from Desert Rat in Az. I went to install them and they won't fit right. Installed the hub but I can't get the snap ring to seat. I followed the instructions, tighten wheel bearing lock nut to spec. No luck. The hub won't go in far enough to seat the snap ring in the groove. Just for kicks, I took off the outer wheel bearing lock nut to see if it was too thick. Still no luck!! What gives! Is there a special part number for my truck? Any help or advice would be appreciatted!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-26-1999, 03:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Warn hubs

If you are talking the snap ring which is supposed to snap onto the axle stub...just leave it off!!! You don't need it. I put Warn's on my 84 R/C and let the snap ring off and have had no problems. Good luck.

-Wyz

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-28-1999, 10:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

had an 86 with dana 44 and installed similar hubs. had to slightly pull out on the axle stub to get the snap ring to fit. nothing major, just had to get some of the slop out.

Hickory Plains Mudway, Inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-28-1999, 01:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You need that snap ring...if you leave it off like Wyzguy did it lets the axle move back and forth inside and will cause alot of wear. You need to put a pry bar in betwwen the knuckle and the u joint and push forward then you will get the snap ring on. It is easy if you have 2 people, one prying and one putting it on. You can leave it off, but it is there for a reason and that is to keep that axleshaft where it is supposed to be.......hope this helps....wyzguy I suggest you put yours on and please dont advise people to do things like leave parts out when they need to be there. I dont mean to sound like an [email protected]$ but people that dont know any better may take that the wrong way....Later...-robo-

Check out my site at http://www.zianet.com/robomeag/index.htm [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-28-1999, 02:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with you that the ring does need to be their. I just got new hubs on my Dana 60 and Mile Marker told me to leave the snap ring off!! I had to do a little modifing to get things to work, but it is tighter than original now. What the snap ring does is holds the axle shaft out so the seal on the back or the hub stays sealed. With out it the axle slides back into the axle shaft and the seal doesn't seal alowing mud and water to get in.

Mopar_Mudder
http://discover-net.net/~greener/truck.htm
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-28-1999, 05:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hmmmm.... the instructions which came with the hubs said the snap ring was NOT necessarly needed, but I have enough faith in Robo and Mudder to try and find them. That will teach me to read the instructions!!!!

Robo, trust me when I say I would NEVER give out known bad advise. Pisses me off a little that Warn's instructions mis-lead me. Perhaps the fact that both Warn and Milemarker (mudders hubs) say leave the snap ring off means my advise was not so terrible, but I understand your point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode