89 318 FI - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-25-1999, 10:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

89 318 FI

I found an 89 318 fuel injected motor for some cheap money. How hard would it be to set this up in my 74 body R/C with the 84 running gear? Would it be worth the effort?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-25-1999, 05:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 89 318 FI

That '89 is just a TBI unit right? All the TBI rigs I was ever in were dog-slow; I guess it could have been the gearing but I don't think the motor is a real screamer either. I don't think there is much in the way of performance equipment available for the TBI engines either. If EFI is the way you want to go I would swap in a Magnum-same amount of work but way more power.

You should be fairly good with electrical stuff to do a swap like this-if you had the newer body (you know 81 ) I would think all the harnesses etc. would be a direct swap but not on your '74 (the bulkhead connector setup is way different). I'm sure it could be adapted but it would take some time and effort. Again I wouldn't go through all the hassle for a TBI unit.

Hope this helps you-keep in mind this is strictly my opinion.

Jason Hansen
My Home Page
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-26-1999, 11:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 89 318 FI

Its relatively easy if you have a dash board from an efi truck, the dashboard will fit into your 74 r/c if you change the heater
too. you just have to make a few brackets, this way you have the right bulkhead connector on the interior side of the dash board, the just splice the outside one in. you will have to run an extra set of wires to the back for a electric fuel pump also. The tbi unit is a holley unit, so you
can use the Hp holley throttlebody with an aftermarket intake. there is a crane cam available for the roller 318. headers will work as
long as yuo switch to a 3 wire heated o2 sensor. the excellant driveabiltiy is worth it alone, and cold stumbling starts become
a thing of the past. having the right gears in the truck helps immensly. I have ddone this to 3 trucks now, a 80 power wagone, 76 r/c
and 75 d-200, I also switched the steering columns along with the dash boards so the trucks had cruise , tilt and and a much nicer
steering wheel. Another thing, On 1 truck I swapped in the newer fuel tank, on the other trucks I used a Holley projection electric
pump mounted to the frame rail. The computer mounts nicely behind the battery in the fender, the alterantor on these engines are
controlled by the computer so the voltage reg and stuff get pulled out. I switched the wiper motors over to get the intermiitent wiper
on one truck to a new style motor. You need a fuel return line to the tank, If I remember correctly I think I used the vapour line.
Its about a full days worth of wiring, but the trucks feel like brand new. In the cases of these trucks, the owners had purchased all
newer interior stuff from wrecked trucks, so newer door panels, carpet, headliners, seats and plastic trim were put in at the same time
which really freshened up the trucks, in fact the 80 power wagon looked pretty trick with a 89 interior.
If you decide to do this, I can walk you through the whole thing..Maxt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode