Ramcharger hatch door - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-22-1999, 06:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ramcharger hatch door

Any suggestions to fix sagging hatch door hinge? It seems solid but I have cracks in the fiberglass around the hinge.
10-8-99 - Did a repair on my hatch. Looks like it will hold and looks good. Will take photos and send to anyone interested.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-22-1999, 01:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Ramcharger hatch door

Besides the area right around the hinge itself, is the fiberglass strong?
I've seen this before... What you can do is get a metal plate that's wide enough to cover the hinge plate and go to some good (relatively ) strong fiberglass. Then just take some screws (not sure if sheet metal screws would work on fiberglass or not) and get that plate secured COMPLETELY. What'll help would be to unscrew the hinge plate first, and then to screw the plate to the piece of metal before securing it to the fiberglass.
That works perfectly on metal; it's been doing my Scout good for months now. I'm not sure if it will work as well on fiberglass, though. Good luck! Hope that helps!

The Warden
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-23-1999, 03:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

When mine broke I drilled holes all the way through the door near the hinges and placed long bolts with wide washers on each side of the bolt to prevent pull through. I used 3 bolts per hinge. Believe it or not you have lots of clearance when the door is closed.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-25-1999, 03:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Any possibility of getting picture or drawing of your fix so I get the placement correct?
Thks

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-30-1999, 04:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry bad news I don't have a picture because I finnally replaced to door. It was still holding when I changed the door and only changed cause I got great deal. The key is to squeeze the fiberglass together without breaking it. The wider the washer the better or if you can get some sheet metal about the same thinkness as a washer, cut it to fit in the hatch area and put the bolts through the sheet metal. think of it like making a sheet metal sandwich, the sheet metal is the bread, the fiberglass near the hinge is the meat, and the bolts are the toothpicks holding it all together. Good Luck

Dave
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-30-1999, 05:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the encouraging news. I tried to pull it together with clamps and wood, but the wood broke. Would it help if I removed the strut arm on that side and supported hatch with a stick?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-30-1999, 07:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Where do you live I have a navy blue hatch from an 84R/C I'll let go cheap. I live in the Boston, MASS area. Let me know if your interested Joe

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-01-1999, 07:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

A little far away . . . Miami, Florida
Thks anyway

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-01-1999, 06:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm not sure. Seems to me like removing one strut would just cause more stress on the other side. Are the struts hard to compress? If so you may consider replacing them. The struts usually just lose their ability to support any weight but I was told by a guy at dealer onec they stiffen up too. I didn't beleive him then but maybe he knew something I didn't. maybe you can try stronger wood or steel.

Dave
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2000, 06:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am interested in seeing pictures of the repairs you made. I am having the same problems. Thanks

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode