steering - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-21-1999, 10:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

steering

I have replaced the stock steering shaft on my '89 Ramcharger with the Borgeson unit and my steering improved considerably. However, it is still not as good as I would like it. Where do I look next? I was underneath the truck and grabbed the drag link to see if there was any play out of the steering box. The drag link wiggles all around! Is this normal?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-22-1999, 12:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: steering

Yes, that is normal. It pivots on ball ends like tie rod ends . You should see mine when the axle articulates. Anyway, check your wheel bearings, grab tire at 3 and 9 o'clock there should be no play. Also your tie rod ends....make sure there is no play there as well as ball joints. The other thing you can do is adjust the steering box. On top of it you will notice a cover with 4 bolts. On it is a nut (5/8") and inside it is an allen head screw. If yours has never been adjusted it is almost all the way up. Put allen wrench on allen screw and hold it. Loosen 5/8" lock nut. Screw down the allen head about a turn. From outside the vehicle, grab the wheel, you want to turn that allen head down until you only have to turn the wheel an inch from side to side before the wheels move. Once this is done tighten lock nut and you should have some nice steering for the next 50,000 miles easy.....hope this helps and let me know how it turns out.....it worked for me and lots of others.......-robo-

Check out my site at http://www.zianet.com/robomeag/index.htm [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-22-1999, 10:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Robo-Does the steering box adjustment apply to power steering boxes also? I have power steering in mine.Thanks, Vernon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-22-1999, 02:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

YES....power steering.......-robo-

Check out my site at http://www.zianet.com/robomeag/index.htm [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode