BB overdrive - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-19-1999, 10:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

BB overdrive

Does any one have any info or know anyone thats converted a 727 for a BB to an OD trans for a 4x4. I know theres a kit to mount a 518 OD tranny on a BB but they reccomend really beefing it up to handle the extra torque, and the kit I think is around $500. I have an 87 wrangler that I'm currently running a 30 over 360 mopar but my first love is a 440, if I could only come up with an OD trans that would hold up. I hate adapters. Any help here would be apreciated. Thanks, Steve

Mopar360yj
87yj+20,74CHR.030360,SOA,35BFGATs,46RH,241DHD,
D60-44-4.10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-19-1999, 12:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: BB overdrive

I think you have to use the JVX, and, yes, if you don't beef it up, you'll be sorry. Remember, the 518 had improvements almost every year it was build for several years. Some of the newer parts can be retrofitted, some can't. But, you can toughen it up a lot. You can call Level 10 (find them with your browser), but remember they are race oriented and some of the changes and after-market stuff they do may not apply to 4x4? You can also talk to Randy Bouchillon (run "Bouchillon" in your URL), but I've found him to be a bit scatterbrained and not absolutely sure of what he is talking about concerning the 518, especially when it comes to four wheeling. There is a six-part series starting with the July 1998 issue of High Performance Mopar. Invaluable information that Mike Z. (440 trk) sent me. I believe if you go to your library you could get the mag and copy it. I am willing to return the kindness that 440trk extend to me, but I can't possibly keep up with all the people interested in the 518 now. Get your 518 NOW (get about a 1993 out of a 4x4 ONLY). If you wait the price could skyrocket. My timing was coincidental. Just after I posted my interest in the 518, back in late 1998 (Not at all because of me), people began finding out about it and the price doubled and more over night. My first find was $600, the last time I asked it was $1000 -$1500 depending on how clued in the junkie was.... Ross

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-19-1999, 01:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: BB overdrive

Thanks for the info. What about using a 46RH which I believe is the same as a 518 except it has the starter on the pass side. Its for a grand cherokee. I have priced 46Rh for $350 and 518 for $500 here in central Ind. There is a place in Moorsville Ind called A&A Transmission that builds mopar trannys, but rick is racing a lot and is hard to get him slowed down enough to talk to. Why are the 518s there so expensive?

Mopar360yj
87yj+20,74CHR.030360,SOA,35BFGATs,46RH,241DHD,
D60-44-4.10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode