440 swap almost done - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-19-1999, 01:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

440 swap almost done

I'm almost ready to get back out on the trails and meet some of you guys!
It was a major pain finding a BB 727.
here's some specs on my engine so far.

440 standard bore.
keith black pistons 9.1:1 compression
ported and polished heads.
crower rv cam
edelbrock intake, carb and water pump
Mopar Performance alluminum water pump housing.
Mopar lightweight starter
bouchillon headers and BB kit
high volume oil pump
carter electric fuel pump
twin electric fans
mopar reduced pulley set
mopar black finned valve covers

I've got a rear disc brake conversion kit sitting on the shelf, ready to install too.

hope to see some of you on the trails soon!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-19-1999, 03:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 440 swap almost done

Ryman,
Sounds like an awsome rig. 74 traildusters aren't too common. My only question is why did you go with ported and polished heads? The porting may actaully be beneficial (depends how much porting...) but the polishing may inhibit fuel suspension in low to mid RPM. Which is where your typical RV cam operates.
Just my .02....

Mike (440trk)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-19-1999, 02:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 440 swap almost done

Hey Ryman, email me some more about your Dodge. An RC or truck. I found some more guys may wanna convoy down from your neck of the woods in March. I need to pick your brain on the starter, electric fans, rear disc conversion kit (need one for my '79 RC, and why you used an electric fuel pump, etc. Can you fill me in on any of that. Yes, we'll see you in March, Halloween also if you can. Ross

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-20-1999, 09:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: porting-polishing

The heads were already done when I bought them.
The intake valves are stock size, the exhaust is barely over.
I figured, using it would be better than buying new ones.
youre right though, I forgot, polishing makes the fuel/air mixture flow through smoother and faster, which I dont need at low rpm.
If they don't work well, I mightlook more in to the alluminum heads that are available, but i've never liked the idea of alluminum on top of iron.
440 parts are hard to find.. I've been working on this engine for 4 months now (in what little spare time i have)

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-20-1999, 10:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: porting-polishing

Ryman,
You will probaly be ok with the heads you have, they just aren't the "perfect" setup for you. Also, PLEASE evaluate your need for the aluminum heads. They effect compression ratio(effectively lowering your compression)because they disappate heat much quicker. If you find the need to replace them, you can probably sell the heads you have and buy a decent stock used set, and give them a gasket matching. BB's are fairly common here in Pa., so I can help you locate a set if you decide you want to pay the shipping $$$.
Good Luck!

Mike (440trk)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-21-1999, 12:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Where\'d you get your Rear Disc Brake conversion?

Ryman, you mentioned you have a Rear Disc Brake Conversion for your truck. I am looking to upgrade to Rear discs on my '76 Warlock while it is apart in restoration...where did you get it and how much was it? I have the basic 8 and 3/4 axle, Mopar Mudder mentioned to me a long time ago that the conversion for a 9 1/4 might fit the 8 3/4, is this the case? Any info you can give me would be much appreciated.

Carson
[email protected]

MoPaR PoWeR forever, and may the Chevy and Ford losers always see our tailgates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode