Steering slop in the Ramcharger - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-16-1999, 07:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Steering slop in the Ramcharger

Hello all,
I recently bought an 87 Ramcharger with 52K original miles on her I have a question about the steering is it normal for the steering to be so sloppy?? I almost hit a jersey wall this morning when my truck hit some water on the left side....I read the details about how to get rid of the steering slop on this web site, but I was wondering if anyone has installed a "steering stabilizer shock" on the front end?? and did this work. I was hoping to get an easier fix to this problem with the purchase and bolt-on of a steering stabilizer......

Thanks for any help,
Dave (Ramcharger freak)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-16-1999, 08:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Steering slop in the Ramcharger

That isn' going to do it! You just need to suck it up and fix it. You can do one of two things. You can either replace the stering shaft with one made by Borgension (sp??) or go to chrysler and buy just the coupling that is at the bottom of the stering shaft. If you buy the coupling make sure that you get the coupliung and ALL the parts that go inside of it. I don't know how much the steering shaft costs but I know that the coupling and all the parts that are in it cost me about 60 bucks (dealer cost).....hope this helps

Mike

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-16-1999, 06:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It seems all older Dodges have this problem. I installed a Borgeson, which helped, but I've heard people who've had experience with Flaming River say they are better, but I forget why. The Borgeson didn't "cure" the slop. I had it aligned and put on steering stabilizers. I ordered one, because that's all most of us really need, but they put on two. That changed the entire feel of the RC even though my steering box is shot. Next I will put on a 3 1/3 ratio steering box for Steer and Gear. A friend just did that and the Steer and Gear box, without any Borgeson, steering stabilizer, or anything but a new oem pump, changed the feel and handling magically. I will also put in a pump with bigger rotors (which is how the guy at Steer and Gear explained it) because I will be running 35 X 13.50 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws. Make sure you've checked all the rest of your front end and wheel bearings, adjustments , etc. Steer and Gear can be reached at 1-800-253-4327. If you put on a Flaming River first, I would sure appreciate an email telling me how it worked. My friend is trying to decide if he wants one. Ross [email protected]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-17-1999, 01:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey buy the steering shaft. It is almost as easy as changing a tire. It has to bee just as easy as putting on a stabilizer. The stabilizer would be a nice addition to the new shaft. I would not buy the coupler from dodge. I went that route with my 79 it was a pain and didn't help that much. I bought the shaft for my 74 and it was like a new truck. Just do it you spent more time researching than it will take to replace it. Good luck happy trails Joe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode