99 Dakota pinging problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-12-1999, 04:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

99 Dakota pinging problem

Hi, hopefully someone can help me with this. I have a 1999 Dakota 4x4 with the automatic (42RE) and 5.2 V8. Ever since it was new it would ping on light to moderate accleration (not forcing a downshift). If you force a downshift (moderate to heavy acceleration), the truck doesn't seem to ping as much (if any). I run the recommended 87 Octane, but tried running premium (92 octane) for over a month. The premium made no difference on the pinging problem. I talked to the dealer's service dept, and they said the pinging was due to the crummy gas on the island (Kodiak, AK) my parents are stationed on. Well now I'm going to school here on mainland Alaska - using name brand gasoline (Chevron, Texaco, etc) and the pinging problem still exists. I don't know if its related - but the Dakota doesn't seem to idle all that smoothly (seems to 'miss' at idle). My girlfriend's 98 Grand Cherokee w/ the same engine doesn't suffer from the idle or the pinging problems either. I love my Dakota more than anything else I've owned, I just want to get this embarrassing pinging problem resolved (my neighbors notice it when I accelerate on our street). Anyone have any ideas for me to try? I may take it in to the dealer here in Fairbanks soon...but some feedback from others would be so greatly appreciated! TIA!

-Darren Asuncion
[email protected]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-12-1999, 06:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 99 Dakota pinging problem

I know there's a TSB for '98's for the same thing-dealer has to flash program the PCM. Go to dodgeram.com and click on the tech section-there are a list of TSB's for Ram's-quite possibly one of them also applies to your Dak.
Hope this helps.

Jason Hansen
http://homepages.msn.com/YosemiteDr/xjhansen/
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-22-1999, 01:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 99 Dakota pinging problem - back from dealer

Well I took my Dakota in to the dealership today - they said they couldn't hear any pinging, so the new TSB 09-06-99 doesn't apply to my vehilcle. They did figure out why it was 'missing' though - turned out the factory didn't put a couple of the plug wires on securely. I still swear that it pings though, and the dealer suggested that what I might be hearing is the pushrod valvetrain on my 5.2 V8. To me, it really doesn't sound like the tickity-tick sound of valvetrain. I dunno what to do anymore...but I do know that my friend's 98 V8 Dakota doesn't make the 'pushrod' noise mine does...and he even thinks it sounds like pinging. I just wish the truck would get really loud (it does soemetimes) so that I can show the service dept. that I'm not a lunatic! Seems like everytime I take my truck in for warranty work - they can never duplicate the problem (ie: my on-going A/C stinky smell/intermittent cooling). Anyone on here have any suggestions what I could do next? At least they were able to duplicate my radio's problem of dying out - they ordered a new one. Well sorry for the long post, I just needed to vent a little...thanks everyone!

-darren asuncion
[email protected]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-10-1999, 03:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

There is a TSB for the Magnum engines relating to spark plug wire routing and crossfirebetween cylinders. I'm not sure of the TSB number. Basically it involves rerouting the coil wire to the intake side of the valve cover and rerouting the rear wires so they don't run side by side. Cylinders 5 & 7 are the most effected as they are next to each other in the firing order and position of the cylinders(drivers-side, rear 2 cylinders). Crossfire here can cause very advanced spark timing in cyl. #7 which if left unchecked can damage the engine.
Try this,re-route the rear wires so that the #5 wire crosses over the top of the valve cover and the coil wire is on the intake side of the right valve cover. Drive the truck and see if it makes a difference. If it does, take it back to the dealer and have them re-route the wires according to the TSB instructions. Dealers get paid by Chrysler to do warranty repairs and they should be happy to try this easy repair if it would make you happy. (Remember them when Chrysler sends you the satisfaction survey).
There is a reflash for some of these cars also that cured the full throttle ping in my brother in laws' ZJ. If the dealer won't help, I recommend calling another dealer(Chrysler,Plymouth,Jeep are approved to work on Dodges also)or the Chrysler zone office.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-11-1999, 12:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Check the thermostat. Stock one is a 200 degree one it think , try putting in a 180 degree one, and I think you'll notice a difference.. Good luck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode