Cooper Tires - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 12:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Cooper Tires

Anyone have any experience with the Cooper Tire STT or LT models?? Pops swears by the commercial model for long-use courier work on his '94 Tahoe, but i've never heard anything about Cooper's off-road tires. . . .

.m a t t.

oh - as it might matter, im planning on either the 265/75R16 or the 285/75R16. these tires would only be for moderate/occasional off-road use - no serious boggin or climbing. . . . [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 08:08 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Cooper Tires

ask on the Chevy forum, they'll have nothing but good things to say about those tires
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 10:41 PM
Mud in my Veins

Ditto, there's a guy named Tex around these ORC forums who is head over heals in love with the Cooper STT.[img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Personally, I think they are great tires and will buy a set within a year for my Ram. Probably going to go with some 255/85R16 (tall 33"x10R16) S/T's, the "aggressive all terrains" as my driving around tires. In my area (Western Michigan) you don't see nearly as many of the big name (BFG, Goodyear, Dunlop, Bridgestone/Firestone, etc) tires as you do the Coopers. When I was tire shopping for a previous vehicle, the owner of the local tire store told me he didn't even stock the BFG truck tires. It came down to the fact that no one needed the 3 ply sidewall BFG charges so much for around here (offroading is mainly 2 track trails and mud). So why pay so much for a BFG when you can buy a Cooper that will be the same or better than the BFG for onroad, offroad, tire wear, etc?

If I was doing hard core rock crawling, I'd probably go with a BFG MTkm, or the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R. I'm not, so Cooper gets the vote.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 944206-Discoverer ST.jpg (33.9 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 08:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

excellent! im probably gonna go with the STT's. question for AJM though - are you putting the 255/85's on the stock 16" inch rims? and if so, what's the widest tire these OEM rims can accomodate?

. . .of course i could be making the incorrect assumption that my rims are indeed OEM, but i sure hope the previous owner didnt pay too much for those faukers if they're not.

.m a t t.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 09:38 AM
Mud in my Veins

The stock aluminum rims are 16x7's. What do your srims look like? Attached is a picture of my stock 16x7 aluminum rims (and the rest of the truck).

I've seen (and yes, would do it myself if I felt like it) 315/75R16 (35x12.5R16)'s on 16x7's. Tire is quite donut like, but you can find a correct tire pressure that gets the whole conctact patch on the ground long before you're overheating the belts or anything.

Most people go for 285/75R16's or 295/75R16's (tall 33x11.4R16) at the widest. I've seen both (ran 285's on 16x7's on my last truck) and both looked fine and will not give you problems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 944471-Ram 1.JPG (36.4 KB, 18 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 10:21 AM
Keyboard Implanted

everyone is over looking the s/t's! they are a great tire, i am telliing you from experience. however, i dont care as long as its a cooper tire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode