Max Tire Size for my 1995 DodgeRam Gear Ratio 3.55 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 01:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Max Tire Size for my 1995 DodgeRam Gear Ratio 3.55

After doing a little research here are my 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 specs on the axles...

Front - Dana 44
Rear - Corporate 9.25

Both Geared at 3.55

What is the max tire size I can do for this?

33 x 12.5?

I'm guessing it can't handle 35's without better gearing?

Thanks,

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 05:08 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Max Tire Size for my 1995 DodgeRam Gear Ratio 3.55

You're not gonna like this, but 32x11.5R15's or 265/75R16's are about it. A 285/75R16 or 33x12.5R15 is gonna make the engine lug a bit, which will hurt gas mileage, and if you have an auto trans, will definately do things the auto won't like. I have the auto trans and 3.55's, and I'm sticking with the 265 road tires it has on it until I can afford 4.10 gears AND 285/75R16's. Probably throw a locker/limited slip in the rear axle at the same time.

Running high (lower numerically) gears with taller tires puts strain on your drivetrain, which basically means your transmission takes the brunt of it. This isn't as bad as running 38's on 3.08 gears, but with Dodge's auto OD tranny's, personally, I'm not taking any chances.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 07:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've ran 225/75/16's, 245/75/16's, 265/75/16's, and 285/75/16's(which I currently have) all on my truck. It's 7 1/2 years old now, and never seen a difference in gas mileage. 285/75/16's seem fine on this truck.

285/75/16's basically equal 32.83 x 11.22 tires.

So what I wanted to do was 33 x 12.5 tires and get new 15 x 10 rims. But I guess you are saying I can't do that?

I plan on doing a 2" body lift and 3" suspension lift soon that will support those tires, but you're saying the gearing can't?

Man i'm going to be bummed if that's true. Any idea on what it takes to gear them to 4.10 and about how much?

Thanks for the info,

James

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 08:56 PM

I would say that 33's are fine but over that or even running big heavy mud tires like swampers then you will see the difference in gas mileage. Gearing makes you drive train work easily or harder depending on what size tire you're trying to turn or what trailer you're trying to pull.
I have 5:13's w/38's in my dana 60's, with that gear ratio so low it makes my truck a huge hotrod with the factory tires on, spinning tires is easy! I think the lowest gear you can run is 4:56's in your axles. Regearing is exspensive and as I found out, theres a break in period that needs to be followed exactly or else gear failure.

If I had the 3:55 ratio I would not go to the 4:10, theres practically not noticable difference to justify the cost so go extra since you have overdrive plus it makes the tranny work easier...
Gears are around $200 just for one axle, theres the master installation kit which is also for one axle $100 then theres the carrier either a locker, open, limited slip and even air or cable activated lockers. They run from $300 each and up, then the installation which is difficult and usually is around $300-500 per axle. It takes a half day per axle just to get it right and thats usually putting it together and taking it all apart just to add or subract shims to get a perfect wear pattern on the gears...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 11:01 PM
Mud in my Veins

My last fullsize truck was a 92 Chevy Blazer K1500 with 3.73's and 265's stock. When I went to 285's I noticed the loss in performance immediately. Personnally, I'll regear as long as I plan on keeping that tire size for long enough to make it worth it.

Gear changes average about a grand for 2 axles with gears. In some places you can get them cheaper, in a few places it's a grand per end, but that's usually out in the sticks.

Again, just my opinions. You can do what you want or don't want to do. I would like the driveability (power and mpg) either the same or better than it is now with the 33-34" tires I'm planning on. It's my daily driver and I'm paying a lot for it, so I'd just like to keep the 14 mpg and performance it has now.[img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 10:58 PM
JCC

I ran 285's on my 98 Ram 5.2 .It really lost power,so I put on a Jacob's omni pack and a turbo city dual K&N setup. On every slight hill the OD kicked out and it did not have any towing power. I priced gears and install, $1000 in North Al. I found a better deal, an 01 Ram with 5.9 and Off Road package. It comes with 4.11 gears and I now run pro comp 33/12.50/17's. The 17 inch wheel is the only bad thing about the OR package. I have wondered if the TRU Speed device that fixes your computer / tranny would make a differance in this equasion. JCC
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 11:26 PM
Mud in my Veins

It'll make the speedo/odo read correctly, and ideally should make the tranny shift at the proper speeds, not the speeds it "thinks" it is moving at.

I've heard good reviews and bad reviews of the TruSpeed. The good ones have all sounded very positive, the bad ones were only a few and about a year ago, when they were brand new. I figure that was just new product issues. I'm planning on one when I'm running the lower gears and taller tires. I like the feature where you can flip a switch and have 2 seperate settings, so I could have 33" tall daily driver tires, and 35" tall trail tires, but never have the speedo/odo reading wrong and the tranny shifting funny.[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 10:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, yesterday I went to a 4x4 shop and someone came out with me to take a look at my truck. We talked about everything from suspension lift, to body lift, to larger tires, wheels, and gearing.

I told him that I was worried I wouldn't be able to run 33's since my gearing was only 3:55. My buddy has a new Jeep Rubicon which is geared at 4:10 and he can no problem. He said that's not an Apple to Apple comparison. My Truck has the 5.9L 360 in it, so he said the torque and hp were more than enough with the 3:55 gearing to handle them. He figured with the 3" Lift I could do 305's no problem. BUT, trying to do a 33 x 12.5 probably not, would run into rubbing problems again, unless I bump the suspension lift to 5" more than likely.

Funny thing is, a 305 tire is still 12 inches wide, so not sure why I couldn't do 12.5. He did tell me as well, that I have to stay with a 16" wheel, since the 15" wheel doesn't go with the brake system on my truck.

********** Edit Info **********
Well was looking through a 4x4 catalog and saw Skyjacker had a combo package of a lift kit and new tires and wheels for my truck. Guess what the wheels were 15x10 heh. They guy at the 4x4 shop was surprised, but guessed he was wrong.

If this is true, then my next set will probably be 15x10 wheels, with 33 x 12.5 Pro-Comp Mud-Terrian tires. Because again, with that gearing probably can't jump all the way to 35's.

As far as my lifts go, I decided not to do the body lift right now, and i'm putting that money and a few extra bucks to go from a 3" to a 5" suspension lift [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Probably gonna order it on Monday, WOOT!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 09:39 PM
Mud in my Veins

Does your truck have rear disc brakes? If it does, you have to run at least 16" rims. 15's won't clear the rotors. If it has regular drums in the rear (like my 99 Sport), you can run 15's no problem (as long as you keep the backspacing conservative). 305/70R16's can be run on the stock rims with no lift and only minimal rubbing, not much more than the 285's you have. 3" on our trucks will easily clear 33x12.5R15's. I'm planning 3" suspension and some wide 33" Swampers for my play tires, like 33x15.5 or 33x13.5. You shouldn't have any problems. 5" will clear 35's without any problems. The narrower the better though, same with backspacing. The setup I described with the narrowest rims possible and at least 3.5-4" of backspacing shouldn't rub much if at all, but if I were to put 33x12.5R15's on 15x10's with 3.5" or less of backspacing, I'd probably get some rubbage.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 10:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry the reply took so long, thanks for you response.

My truck has Front Disc Brakes and Rear Drums.

I just put a 5" Skyjacker suspension lift on my truck this past weekend, also.

In the future I would like to put on 33 x 12.5's or 35 x 12.5's on my truck. So I would like to go with a 15 x 10 or 16 x 10, 15 x 10 preferable, just since everything is cheaper. It looks like the Backspacing on the wheel would be 3.75", do you think that would work on mine? Now if I go with 16 x 10, the backspacing would be 4".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode