Thinking about a body lift, could use help... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 07:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thinking about a body lift, could use help...

Well, for starters i'm a newbie to this site, but am glad to finally find a Dodge only one [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Now for the questions.

I currently own a 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4. I've had it for about 7 1/2 years now, and still love it. It's been through Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Michigan and a little mudding in Texas now.

Throughout the years i've slowing been bumping up my tires. Went from 225/75/16 --> 245/75/16 --> 245/75/16 again --> 265/75/16 --> and am currently on 285/75/16's and like them.

Only problem is, I get a slight rub when I crank my wheel hard to get into parking spots. Not a huge deal, but would like to solve it. This has led me to consider a 3" Body Lift and Lift Lips(if i need them). That should solve the rubbing. Now has anyone else just done a 3" Body Lift on their stock 4x4. If so, does anyone know the largest tire you can put on, with just slight or no rubbing when you crank your wheel(i can live with a tiny bit, like now).

The 285/75/16's probably compare to 32 x 11.5 tires. So with a 3" Body Lift can I put on 33 x 12.5 tires? I will also probably have to go to 15 x 10 rims for this, since the stock ones are 16 x 7 and can't handle that probably. I could also consider 295/75/16's, but not sure if I could do 305's or 315's.

Now let's say I decided to go with new 15 x 10 rims. Can I even use them with only a 3" Body Lift??

The reason I'm only asking about a Body Lift is they are very very inexpensive compared to the suspension lift, and that's all that I can do right now.

Also, any opinions on the looks, are lift lips necessary even on the dodge with a 3" lift.

Also, got a quote for about $175 for the parts for the 3" lift, which include the bumper lift as well. Does that seem like a decent price.

Thanks in advance,

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 08:43 PM

Re: Thinking about a body lift, could use help...

You could use a 2" coil spacer up front which would help too and tuff country has steel ones for around $119 and daystar has a poly type for $178. That price looks about right for a body lift but the body lifts require welding usually on the shifter linkage and can be a pain to install.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 11:04 PM
Mud in my Veins

285/75R15's are actually more like a tall 33. 33x11.25R16 is the accepted conversion. Most 33x12.5R15's are 32.6 to 32.2". Most 285's are about 32.8-33.1".

Guy I work with just put 2" coil spacers on his 94 Ram 1500 4x4. $129 for them, he did it in under two hours with the help of coil spring compressors, and he went out and got the expensive Rancho RSX shocks for another $230 for all 4. You don't necessarily NEED the new shocks up front, but it is recommended, and the rear does not need new shocks since it isn't affected. He just needed new shocks. His truck now sits level or just very slightly rear high, and his 265's look tiny. He wants to put 285's on there if he can get the cash around for gears, he tows a lot so he needs the gears anyways.

I wouldn't go with any higher than a 1" body lift myself, I don't like the taller body lifts. To complicated and to many problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 11:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well I double checked the price and from everything I see on the web $175 seems like a very good price. After talking to the 4x4 shop in my area, they think the Body Lift shouldn't be too hard for me to do. They said you don't always need to weld, just once in awhile. If you do, they said you should be able to to take the piece somewhere and weld this, then install it. I've never done this before, so not exactly sure what they are talking about, maybe it's the shifter linkage that you mentioned.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 11:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Could you explain why you don't like anything higher than a 1" Body Lift. I really want a 3" one, just curious why you only say 1". What problems do you see?

Thanks,

James
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 11:51 PM
Mud in my Veins

Number 1: it looks rather silly, frame sticking out and the gap guards, and especially the towing hitch hanging there under the rear bumper all exposed.

Number 2: having to relocate and modify all the various things, radiator and/or radiator shroud, tranny shifter, steering column and or steering shaft, lots of wiring, gas tank filler neck, brake line mounts, even some exhaust mounts on some trucks (but I'm not sure on Dodges on those).

Number 3: 3" is just a lot longer of a bolt than there was there from the factory. Just seems kinda sketchy to me to have that holding the body on. My wheeling tends to be occasional, but when I do, I like to use my 4x4 to it's limits and sometimes past them. So I always have function, strength, and durability in mind.

Number 4: Your bed is now 3" away from it's supports. Not the bed mounts, the supports that brace it up. I've heard of guys having their beds cave in some from the weight of loads they never had problems with before the body lift. Look around, most body lifts don't address this problem.

Number 5: it looks pretty retarded if you don't relocate the bumpers to hide the gap, but then by relocating them they are no longer mounted to the frame like they were intended. Now some brackets are holding them up above and away from the frame by 2 or 3", depending on your choice. You can't tell me that's as strong as the stock bumper mounts.

A 1" body lift is pretty safe from most of these things. I'd have to make it myself though. Probably just get a 2" body lift and saw the blocks in half.

One of the beauties of a Dodge is it's a coil sprung solid front axle, making it relatively easy to lift. For as easy and cheap as the 2" coil spacers are, personally I can't see a reason to do a body lift with all it's work and "issues". The spacers with new shocks will actually improve things, while a body lift will just make it higher. Not to mention if you have a shop install the body lift, the coil spacers would probably be cheaper. There's NO reason you couldn't do the spacers yourself with basic tools.

Just my opinions.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 10:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well I think you have officially talked me out of a 3" Body Lift, heh.

I am now considering a 2.5 - 3" Suspension Lift, possibly with the 2" Coil Spacers or 1" Body Lift. Maybe do the 1" Body Lift or Coil Spacers first, then the suspension a little later. Or Vice Versa. Kind of looks like, you can do a 2.5"(by yourself) suspension lift for under $500. Whereas, the 3" and up, jumps up alot, since they throw in a new radius arm.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 11:01 AM
Mud in my Veins

I'm not totally against body lifts, but I'd only do 1" as an addition to a suspension lift, to get that last little bit of clearance.

Maybe your termanology is confusing me, but a 2" coil spacer is a suspension lift. It isn't a full or complete suspension lift, but it is a suspension lift. It's not recommended to stack coil spacers with lift coils. Personally I'm planning on saving up for some 4.10 gears and 285/75R16's at the same time, and then later a 3" suspension front lift with a custom rear suspension to get rid of the 3" factory[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] rear blocks and some wide 33" Swampers for offroad playing.[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 05:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Based on what you are saying, i'll probably do a 2 1/2" or 3" suspension lift, and a 1" or 2" body lift. Hopefully the combination of the 2 of those, will allow for 16 x 8 rims, and 35 x 12.5" tires. Not sure what the max tire size is for those lifts.

Here's a question for you though, you said a 3" body lift would look silly. From what i've seen with Lift Lips, it looks pretty good. But if it's true that you have to adjust alot more than the front and rear bumper(which seems ok to me), then I will only do a 1 or 2" body lift. You are probably right with the 2" Coil Spacer, I won't do that probably if i'm doing a suspension lift. However most of the suspension lifts come with the coils, so maybe you still can, but might not be a good idea.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 09:43 PM

You can install the suspension lift rather easily yourself with air tools. Its rather basic, new front axle links, coils/spacers, drop pitman arm, brakeline reposition brackets, shocks, trac bar bracket and add a leafs for the rear with new u-bolts. Tuff country uses the spacers instead of new coils so its the cheapest lift. 35's should have a 5" lift or 3" suspension and 2-3" body lift.
I would highly say just a suspension lift, spend the extra, you will be glad you did. Skyjacker is probaly the best lift for our trucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode