two to four - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 01:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

two to four

I recently bought a 96 1500 ram v8 - pretty sweet, except that whole “two wheel drive” thing. I eventually want to turn it into a four wheeler, but i have a feeling thats gonna take a lot of work - with this in mind i thought id ask yall if anyone of you has done a conversion like this, and if so what kind of difficulties can i look forward to?? The plan for now is to first replace the ifs with a leaf-springed straight bar (like a cherokee) and push that around untill i can afford to put a transfer case in, replace the transmission (if necessary), and put in a real front axle. this is obviously a long term project, especially on a college budget, so i figured it would be best to start getting advice early in the game.

thanks
.m a t t.

i suppose i should ask as well - is all the time/effort that ill be putting into this worth it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 02:37 PM
Official Historian

Re: two to four

I'd be so much cheaper and easier to just sell yours and find a 4x4 you like.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 09:31 PM

I just converted my 93 F-150 to 4wd. I bought a wrecked truck for parts. As of right now I only have $1,009 in the project. I have a good 302 engine, my 2wd tran rearend and a few more things to sell. So I should get all or close to all of my money back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 06:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

that is great news indeed, f150. after what Will said i was ready to concede that i am indeed attempting to bite off more than i can chew. but with my hope restored, i think its time to start the junk yard explorations. . . .
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 11:14 PM
Mud in my Veins

I'd have to agree with Will. If you're a very good mechanic with welding and fabrication skills, you can do what the other guy did with the F150.For the average joe however, it's just easier and often cheaper to just sell your 2wd and get a 4x4. Not like Dodge Ram 4x4's are scarce or anything. I wouldn't bother on a conversion like this unless it was a truck that was rather rare in 4x4, or just rare all around.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 12:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, i dont think id consider myself a "VERY" good mechanic just yet, but by the time i have the time and resources to do the conversion i should be able to handle it without a problem. thanks much for the input!

on a side note, i went to have my injectors/intake cleaned today - after 130K miles, i dont think the previous owner ever bothered, and i was starting to have some idle trouble. anyway, i paid 80 ****** bucks for what was probably the easiest thing ive ever seen a anyone do: remove filter, clean intake plate; remove fuel pump fuze, connect bottle of cleaner to fuel rail, let truck run until bottle of cleaner = empty. thaaats it.

now, admittedly, im aparently only supposed to do this once a year. . .but being the cheapo "id rather do it myself" type that i am, there HAS to be a way to do this myself. anybody know where i can get the necessary hose/pressure gauge/fuel-cleaner bottles to do this minor operation in the future????
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 11:33 AM
Official Historian

I don't know where to get them but I saw an episode of shade tree mechanic a few years ago where they showed how to do that. Just ask around at the parts stores.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode