Off Roading Forums banner

Chrysler auto trans fluid and diff fluid capacity?

2K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  AJMBLAZER 
#1 ·
Currently changing all the fluids and filters along with anything else in a tune up on the Ram. 99 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with a 360 and auto OD tranny if you haven't read my prior posts or haven't read my sig yet.

I've gotten a few recommendations to make sure and only use the Chrysler ATF +3 or +4 fluid in the transmission. So I guess that means the Mobil 1 synthetic ATF is out, correct? If so, what brand(s) do you guys recommend? The strictly dealer bought Chrysler stuff, or one of the major lubricant maker's stuff? Owners manual says the t-case uses ATF as well, so whatever I settle on for the tranny, it'll get the same.

I'm doing the diffs tomorrow. Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil and the red RTV for the gaskets. Any idea how many quarts the D44 and Chrysler 9.25" take? I've got probably 10 quarts of the Mobil 1 stuff, so I'm pretty sure I'm covered, but just curious now.

#2 ·
You have plenty of gear oil for both axles, the transfer case is a pain to refill, you should need a hand pump to refill, can't get a bottle up high enough. I believe it can use regular dextron type fluid. If you have a limited slip you'll need the additive for the rear axle, front is an open carrier. Walmart has the tranny fluid for our trucks tranny now. You should get a tranny pan with the built in drain plug or just drill a hole and weld on a nut, draining it is a messy job...

#3 ·
Already have a hand pump, mighty useful for things like transfer cases and anything needing fluid on small 4x4's.

I did the rear today with Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube. No posi so just the lube. The factory stuff looked okay after 33,000 miles, some sludge on the bottom, but didn't look like a milkshake or anything. Not impressed with the 9.25"s plastic/rubber check/fill plug. Who thought that one up?

I'm going to put a tranny pan drain plug kit thingy in. One of those available out of Summit or Jeg's. Gonna do all the tranny stuff at the same time. What brand of fluid do you run in the tranny?

#4 ·
Those rubber plugs are not wheeling friendly, a guy on this board had one pop out while going mudding which finially ending up killing his rear even after cleaning it all up the same day... I personally would weld a steel plug on the cover and discard the rubber plug.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.