rim offsets - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 01:58 PM
dorC

rim offsets

Ok, from what I've gathered from past posts, you'd want a 16x8" rim with a 4" backspacing for a 96 2500 ram. If I found two rims with a 4.45" backspacing, would that move the tire into the wheelwell further or would it move the tire out? Would there be a clearance problem with large rubber? Kinda debating if it's worth my time to buy these and then finish the set with two new rims.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 06:12 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: rim offsets

a 4.75" backspaced wheel would put the tire further into the wheel wells than the 4" backspaced wheel. it'll help your clearance between the tire and the fender, but you could start hitting the control arms with a tall tire, somebody with that suspension setup would have to tell you exactly when you'll start having problems. In my opinion, it's better to hit the control arms (radius arms in my truck) than the fenders, and not having the tires way out there will keep the wear and tear on your drivetrain to a minimum. It'll also steer better compared to having less backspacing with the tires sticking way out. How much rubber are you talking about exactly?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 10:07 PM
dorC

Re: rim offsets

People have said that a 315/70 r16 tire will rub on the fenderwell, but it didn't sound like it wall all that bad of a rub. The duty is really mostly street with light off road work on hard level surfaces so the suspension really won't see much articulation. With the other two rims, I might get a more centered backspacing and go with a staggered setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode