first post need info badly - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 12:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

first post need info badly

hi everyone, this is my first post.
this site seems to be informative & knowledgable!
i hope i can find help that i need.
i have a stock 95 ram 1500 4x4 short cab & bed
98k on the od. i mainly use it for weekend travel to & from
playin in northern mi , & some light towing of toys.( no heavy off roading or towing)
heres the problem, its had 7 warrentied tranny's,(4 rebuilds, 3 replaced with new units)
otherwise the truck is & has been checked to be and is mechanically sound.i have never had any other major problem with it, maintainance is done at correct intervals
i have only changed fluid once. (many new units w/fluid)
i am now out of warrenty (time & milage)& cant afford the rebuild another trans.
so i need to keep the trans thats in it now from expiring.
this is where i need some info & opinions.
i think that adding a large inline cooler and removing the check valve should do the trick to extend the life in ths trans. what would you do?????

confused, but wont give up on dodges

ps the attorney(s) wont touch this case because i bought the truck used.
[img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 05:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: first post need info badly

A good tranny such as B&M wouldn't hurt, stay away the cheapies like Permacool. I'm not sure what removing the check valve would do for you. Are you using the factory specified fluids? Some places feel it ok to use other's but this can cause problems. Do these types of things if you can, some tranny shops or dealers will upsell you additives which do nothing but harm your tranny and if you do it you know exactly whats in it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 06:15 PM
raminaredickson

howdy / on the passenger side of the RAD look down at the tranny lines / see the quick disconnects on the lines / thats where the check balls are / so when you disconnect the lines fluid dont pour all over the place / you hafta cut them right out to get rid of them and thats where you T in your new cooler
good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 925663-2002_0608_014357AA.JPG (75.4 KB, 5 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 01:27 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Are these check balls the cause of all the problems Dodge has with their auto's of late? It seems silly to "Cause" a trans to fail (on their part) just to keep the shop floor a little cleaner. I am a longtime Dodge faithfull and have owned many late models with OD auto's ('95 2500 Ram, 2000 Dakota, Mom's '01 2500 V10 Ram, her old '98 1500 Ram) and never had a problem, but the stories are enough to make me get a 5 speed in my next truck.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 08:31 PM

Its one of the 2 things that I know of, the other is overheating caused from towing or excessive 4-wheeling with a lead foot at slow speeds like me. Plus my radiator was almost completely clogged full of mud, it looked like a big sheet of mud when I took it out to clean it! oops...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 09:47 AM

superswpamper,
is this mud type stuff you're talking about due to incompatibility of coolants? i know in 96 GM went to a synthetic coolant called Dex-Cool. I"m not sure if dodge did the same thing or not. but if you mix the newer coolant (orange in color) with the traditional ethelyne-glycol (green stuff) you get gelling i nthe system.
if one adds green to the orange it turns to a muddy looking paste. if one mixes red into the green it kinda solidifies into a scaly, rigid sediment deposit. perhaps this is what happened...maybe not though. just tossing out an idea
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 06:40 PM
Mud in my Veins

u4ia4, thankfully, Dodge never went over to the pink death, Dexcool. My 99's coolant is nice and neon green.[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] If you've ever seen SuperSwamper's posts, you'd know he's talking about mud mud, the kind that happens when you introduce water to dirt. He likes to play in it, LOTS OF IT.[img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 10:49 PM
Mud in my Veins

not a damn thing wrong with that [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] <h1>MUD</h1>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 06:33 PM

<font color="red">I am guilty! I have been known to frolic in the mud like a pig and I love it and can't get enough of it as my exterior of my radiator could attest, thick coat of mud! </font color>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode