High milage dodges - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 09:39 AM
dorC

High milage dodges

Does anybody have any comments to offer on a very high milage late model dodge diesel? I realy don't want to get caught up in the dodge vs ford vs gm debate, but opinons are appreciated. What I really am looking for is commentary from somebody that had this truck.

Fyi-2001 SLT Diesel, auto, 170,000 miles. Obviously we are attracted by the price break.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 01:07 PM
FordDiesel

Re: High milage dodges

Most diesels when properly cared for can average around 300-400,000 miles. When I say properly cared for I mostly mean oil changes and general matinance. The weak link in a diesel truck is the auto tranny. I'd have a tranny shop that you trust give it a good look over. I'd also inspect the axles. I wouldnt expect anything to be wrong with the axles but it wouldnt hurt to give them a looksee.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 08:22 PM
Mud in my Veins

WOW 170k on a 01! did they have it sitting out behind their house running a generator full time or something? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] one nice thing about that truck you're looking at is that you know most of those miles have to be highway miles since it's so new, which arent hard on a diesel at all since you're at about 2K rpm. like FD said, the tranny could be pretty beat up though if they were towing in OD or towing big loads... good luck, sounds like you could get a good deal on this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 12:28 AM
dorC

I was able to find the gear ratios for the transmissions, and I can see why the auto felt sluggish. The first gear is shallower than the second manual gear. With everybody kinda suggesting auto trans problems, I'm thinking that manual will be the way to go.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 08:14 AM

I wouldn't worry much about tranny escapially if its cheaply priced and if its from a dealer there is a 30 day warranty in which you will notice any problems during that time. A rebuild on a tranny is around $1200-1500 depending on whats gone. The diesel would have the heavy duty cooling for the tranny anyway...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode