replacing 5.2 with 5.9 in 96 RAM - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 10:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

replacing 5.2 with 5.9 in 96 RAM

My wifes beloved ram is gonna need a motor soon have had so much trouble with the 5.2 I want to put in a 5.9 can i use the same intake an injection, an computer any input would be appreciated. She bought it right off the trailer an took it to our mech for a oil change an filter. It was changed again at 1000 an 3000. Started having problems right away always used oil felt gutless, had dealer install headers an cat back to improve performance an mileage. Didnt help at 23000 they finaly did a compression check an rebuuilt the motor, said the rings never sealed an that inside looked like it had 100000 on it full of sludge wiped bearings. I had reciepts for all oil changes with castrol GTX an wix filters. So they warrantied it still uses at least a quart every 3000 miles an now the oil pressure if going nuts its higher sitten at a light then when runnin at 2300 rpm goes up an down with breaking. I hate this motor any ideas!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 11:42 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: replacing 5.2 with 5.9 in 96 RAM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
the oil pressure if going nuts its higher sitten at a light then when runnin at 2300 rpm goes up an down with breaking

[/ QUOTE ]

mine was doing that awhile back... i had gunk on the oil pump pickup screen and in the oil filter. if you think about what's happening, that makes sense. i'd pull the pan and look for gasket material and anything else that might be clogging the screen, which is very possible because you've had motor work done. my problem showed up after i put on a new timing chain cover, and apparently some of the old gasket material got down into the oil pan. also make sure you're not using a FRAM filter, those can give you strange problems too because of their cheap construction (cut one open sometime, it enlightened me). sorry to hear of your misfortune, but good luck on the swap!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode