Thats it! No more fixing it! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Thats it! No more fixing it!

My dana 60's suck! I can't keep my 5:13 gears from exploding; noises, chipped teeth, and lots of money... I just had my rear ring and pinion swapped and i've babied it and the only bad ting I did was drive to a job site which was 28 miles away when the first initial drive was to be only 15-20 miles for break in procedure! If I give half throttle I hear a ratchet like sound or like a small light gauge metal banging and vibrating. I'm not fixing these again, its getting exspensive escepially the front axle! I heard the sound of breaking teeth on sunday when I drove a little in 4-wheel drive. So in conclusion, the rear makes noise under throttle and the front could be missing teeth.....
I need to talk to Daniel from <a target="_blank" href=http://usa6x6>usa6x6</a> and find out about those big 2 1/2 rockwells! :-) Those can handle the little abuse I give and then some. There alot of money but piece of mind is priceless, enough said!

I think I will buy a new 2002 v-10 quad cab 4x4 for work and some fun and probaly plowing here for the state of Mass.

The bad thing here is 2, yes 2 vehicles down with axle problems, my 89 jeep wrangler with blown spider gears in the rear from too much air time with a heavy foot! It sure did blow away my friends attempt to climb that steep hill in which he tried it in a suzuki thing but could not make it as hard as he tried. I was able to still drive home, just in 4x4 and the bad thing is the 4 cylinder had no clutch left, the slave cylinder had been leaking and then wouldn't work at all after a couple weeks of slight leaking. Oh well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 08:53 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Thats it! No more fixing it!

Dumb question, but were the gears set up correctly?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 01:14 PM
Mud in my Veins

woooooohoooooo ROCKWELLS [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] they aint that much compared to custom dana 60 axles, and cant you get about $1300 on eBay for your front axle since it's a dana 60 with 5.13 gears? that would offset the cost a LOT. i just read on daniel's page that if you get the 2.5ton housing shaving option, you end up with 1.5" MORE ground clearance than a dana 44 axle!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Hell I don't care about 1 1/2" more ground clearance when I run 42 and 44" tires plus theres no rock trails local but for a 3 hour drive I can go to a good friends house in the berkshires of Mass and do some of the best 4 wheeling ever!

The gears the first time lasted 3 weeks with no break in and an installer that wasn't all that good.
The second time was a different shop that did them over for lots of money in which the front went south a little more than a month later and the rear a year later. They redid the front over and it lasted couple 3-5 months.
The last time a guy that was highly recommended did the front and rear over and the front now I believe is going again after a couple months and the rear is making a weird noise under a heavy foot. I am sure the front axle is messed up since the factory open diff blew apart and put a small dent into the bottom of the housing from a piece of the spiders getting under the ring gear and got crushed. The front now has a l/s and the rear has a detroit locker. I only run my 38's for the most part or my 35's at one short occasion.

The rockwells are $1200 for the front and $900 for a rear both rebuilt with stock brakes, $1000 extra for disc brakes per set. A detroit is only $400 and lock outs are $285 I believe. Drop outs are $700 front and $500 rear. Shipping for me would be $350 from Ok to Ma... I would need about 9" of lift to clear the front axle from contacting the oil pan...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 09:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I hate to say it but the Dana 60 isn't your problem. It either has to be a really bad job of setting them up, or something you are doing. Also keep in mind that the lower the gear ratio the weaker the gears are, although your 5.13's should be no problem at all. Also what are you using for gears, many of the HP gear sets are made for drag racing and are soft, their for don't last long. The axle shaft in the 60 are far weaker then the ring and pinion and would be the first to give you problems.

I think I am throughing a lot more at my 60's then you are, and to date have 25,000 miles on them with out one gear problem. And I installed them myself, that is the only way to really know they are right.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 11:50 AM
raminaredickson

hate to say it BOBBY but MOPAR_MUDDER is right/ you never had this problem till you had the first gear change / most people would kill to have dana 60,s / you are the only YAHOO in the world that could kill them / I would get an older DODGE dana 60 rear and a FORD F350 dana 60 front and put them in / with the rockwells you hafta run 20-22 rims so throw all yer tires my way because you wont be needing them new swampers / betcha didnt think about that did ya
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Luckily they can make 15-16.5 rims for those rockwells, there in the 4x4 mags all the time on the super mudders :~) so those swampers could stay but again a set of 54" aggricultural tires sounds much better than boggers but then again they'll never fit.
I think my front axle is messed up housing wise since gears don't last in them. I like the dana 60 but i'll never swap gears again after what i've gone through, as you said in the past mopar mudder, you'll never trust anyone to do your gears and now I see why! :-( I would swap in a stock set of axles from a 2500 any day than go to rockwells due to the exspense of fabricating. The old dana 60 from a ford f350 would be good for sure but then theres the mods of spring hangers and stuff which wouldn't be all that hard but still easier the better.
All junk yards around here have no stockers for my truck with 4:10's.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 11:56 PM
Mud in my Veins

yeah, you probably spun the bearings and now they wont seat right cuz the housing is bored out. rockwells are kinda extreme but you wouldnt ever have to worry about breaking them no matter what you do. and it dont matter if you have 31's or 42's, extra ground clearance helps out in the mud cuz you're not plowing all that crap as you go through it. thats not a reason to swap to them but its a nice feature.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2002, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Actually I think they have less ground clearance due to the big pumpkin hanging down but just having 6:72 gear ratio makes me smile. Having to low a ratio isn't good for a big horsepower motor but my motor would be ok. Although highway use with those gears would need 44's to keep the rpm's down and an overdrive...
I have a brand new 7" skyjacker lift for the truck so i'll probaly just get a used stock axle with all factory stuff to replace my worn out one and i'll leave it alone. I think the rear can be saved and have the guy replace the 5:13 and detroit locker with the old factory 4:10 and l/s carrier and be done...
I've been looking for a red 02 v-10 quad cab for a family vehicle and found out theres just about none left in the northeast accept 2 silver ones in Maine and a blue one in new Jersey and a demo one in new York which is garnet red :-) but has 11,000 miles on it and they still want top dollar for it like t has no miles on it! It is loaded without leather though so maybe i'll check it out. Its a 2002 so theres still a 0% apr for 60 months so a savings of over $5000 interest if I got a loan at 10% apr from a bank... I told the dealer to search a little farther from here to see if theres maybe one around.....
I'll still keep the old one and build it more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode