oops, I killed another one! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

oops, I killed another one!

When I lost a tooth on my 2500's rear ring gear 2 weeks ago and it should be fixed today but yesterday I went 4 wheeling with my 89 jeep wrangler with 4" lift + stock 30/35 axles on 33" boggers and I managed to exploded my rear carrier, the 2 small spider gears self detonated! I been getting to daring and launching it off steep hill climbs with up to 5 feet under the front tires and this last time was the highest and thats when it blew. I was able to drive home in 4 wheel drive and to make it more bad the clutch was 100% toast, no pedal at all! I have the replacement slave cylindler for it, yes it leaks slightly and even adding fluid didn't help this time.
Now its time to fix it so either a locker or find another axle with the same gearing preferable a dana 44 this time. If I go with a locker, which are good for the money? I have a detroit in my ram but that exspensive $489 I think for the dana 35 or the true trac type for $359 made by detroit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 11:40 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: oops, I killed another one!

Ouch. I know the lunch box lockers survive better in the lighter, less powerful rigs like Jeeps, so a Lock Right or True Trac type "in carrier" locker might be a good choice for you.

How about swapping in a 8.8" Ford out of a later Explorer? I know it's a relatively easy swap into TJ's, what about the XJ's? Coil buckets, link mounts, and shock mounts would have to be installed, but that's even more beef than a D44.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

I prefer a bolt in instead of the other mods needed for different axles. As for my truck I could go for the 2 1/2 rockwells instead of my dana 60's... I will probaly check the local junkyard for a quick fix. The jeep is basically a beater, I paid $2250 for it, the only bad thing with it is the wimpy 4 banger on the highway, its slow but off road its ok escepially in 4 low...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 10:28 PM
Mud in my Veins

Jeez, why was I thinking you had a Cherokee? Says Wrangler. Going senile. Anyways, you might want to ask the Jeep guys about the 8.8" swap. I was thinking you had rear coils, which as I think further a Cherokee doesn't even have[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img], so your swap would be much simpler. It's my understanding it's pretty easy. The chances of you finding a D44 for the rear of that YJ are pretty small. Lotsa wrecked Exploders sitting around.

Anyways, not trying to preech.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

I heard that the dana 44 was in jeeps only 3 years, not sure which ones but it makes finding one a bit harder. As for the 8.8 it would be good i'm sure but i'm sure its no easy bolt in. I do go to the jeep board, I have a post there with pics of my jeep air born prior to the disaster...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 01:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

go with a detroit ez-locker or lock-rite(recently bought out but should still be for sale)... they run $200-250 new... fit inside open dana35 carriers... simple to put in... will NOT work in a factory limited slip carrier so be sure you don't have them cheezy little clutch packs in there.

The 8.8 would be your better choice... those toothpick thick 35's are way too easy to break... grind off the mounts, and weld on a couple of spring perches and shock mounts... not hard... strong axles. Problem with finding 44's... easy enough to find Wagoneers/Scouts etc... but different wheel bolt pattens. I believe the Explorers have the 5 on 4.5 already and disc brakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode