Can you get a 94+ Ram 1500 with a 360 & stick? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Can you get a 94+ Ram 1500 with a 360 & stick?

I'm being told over on RamChargerCentral.com that the 94+ Ram 1500's couldn't be had with a 360 and a stick. Is he correct? I swear I've seen them with 360's and sticks. I'm not buying an automatic or a 318.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 09:14 PM

Re: Can you get a 94+ Ram 1500 with a 360 & stick?

360 definately yes with the 1500's, a buddy has one in his 99'sport but as for the stick, I don't know, can't see why not though. I'll ask a buddy at the dodge dealer about that one...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

I knew you can get the 1500's with the 360, I ment the 1500 with the 360 and the stick. Shoulda phrased that better. I keep being told the stick wasn't available with the 360, only the 318.

I may just have to....................sigh....................buy a 2500.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 12:35 AM
Mud in my Veins

that seems strange, but the only dodge sticks i can remember seeing are v6's. i tried to build a v8 1500 on dodge's page but it would only let me get a stick with the 3.7L v6 and 4.7L v8, NOT the 360, so maybe you cant get one behind it in the 1500. i also tried to build a 2500 and it let me do a 5spd behind it, though it was called something different, so it appears at least in the 02 year model that your information is correct. it might be for the best, dont the 2500s have some strong New Venture 5 speed? plus if dodge thinks it's not strong enough for a 360, it probably is trash anyway, like their autos.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 06:35 AM
raminaredickson

there better than any FERD tranny ever made / whats with you ??? all you do is slam MOPAR on the DODGE board / I for one am getting sick of it
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Muddy, I'm starting to think 1500's weren't offered with the 360 AND 5 speed. I swear I've seen them and people here and at www.RamChargerCenteral.com swear they existed as well, but no one can prove it so far. Oh well, guess I'll have to buy a 2500.

As for the transmission, it'd be a NV4500, the most desireable swap for 5 speed with OD transmissions if you are Ford, Dodge, or GM. After 98 or so they went to the NV5600 which is a 6 speed behind the Cummins, I think V10's, and who knows, maybe the 360. Only problem is the Cummins got 24 valves instead of 12 in 98, and things got a lot more complicated for not a lot more power, not to mention I probably couldn't afford one.[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 11:41 PM
Mud in my Veins

i'm not trying to talk sh!t or anything but the fact is that dodge autos suck large balls. my dads 98 v6 ram with 60k miles is due for an overhaul and it hasnt towed a day in its life... but even new it had stupid shifting habits. my friends ram charger has gone through 3 rebuilds in the last 4 years and he doesnt tow either. cummins trucks have been known to eat them up at 25k miles. my tranny is querky sometimes but it holds up fine to muddin and general asss haulin even with stock gears and 35" tires... with 144k miles on the ticker. i dont try to insult dodge over here, just basically want people to watch out for their autos. why do you think AJM is looking for a 5spd so dilligently? i bet i know. my dad's new 4.7L mayor is badass and the 360 can hold its own too, but not everything is peachy in truckville. the fact that dodge wont offer that 5spd behind the 360 does make me suspicious about its strength too. ford and chevy have made some crappy autos too but dodge takes the cake and your statement is very false, though a ford vs dodge rivalry is fun for a change [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

raminaredickson, muddy is right, the Dodge auto's are notorious for choking on their own fluid. Their reliability record is worse than the GM 700R4/4L60/4L60E problems. That is why I only want a stick. Don't need to be spending money on rebuilding a transmission while I'm paying for my "new to me" truck.

muddy, I'm starting to think the no sticks behind the 360 thing was some sort of odd marketing decision or something. From talking to guys over on <a target="_blank" href=http://www.RamChargerCentral>www.RamChargerCentral</a> it sounds like Dodge hasn't put a stick behind the 360 in 1/2 tons since the 70's. Last I knew they used a good stick back then, wasn't it the same as the Ford 4 speed? NP435 or something? More than strong enough for the 360.

Anyways, 2500 for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode