77 Dodge-1st tow run-Questions on improvement - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

77 Dodge-1st tow run-Questions on improvement

I just towed my rock crawler using my new 77 dodge w-200.It has 32x12.50 tires,4:10 gears,crate motor,Blue printed/balanced,
tow cam,alum. intake,carter 4bbl,headers,flow masters.It has no pulling power from 0 to 60mph.65mph on the interstate is not bad.Hit a hill,she drops to 40mph.QUESTION,Would a centrifical distributor help.The 727 torque convertor seems to drain down for 1 thing when it sits and it seemd to slam gears when it shifts to 3rd as if something is bound up.I am only towing a 3500# rig.My S-10 pulled 5000# no problem.I also want to go to P/S.I want to add P/S.What year box does it take?Any ifno appreciated,RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 09:29 AM
aarcuda

Re: 77 Dodge-1st tow run-Questions on improvement

you should be able to pull 5000lbs easy with that setup. You have something setup wrong. You say you dont have a centrifical advance in your distributor?? What kind of distributor is that? you need advance at rpm. timing should be set about 34 degrees (36 max) at 3000 rpm.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I have standard dist. now.I am going to put the truck on a dyno to set it up.Do you know what power steering pump guys out there use.I heard a 77 1/2 ton ,but want to do this right first time.Thanks for you reply,RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 09:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

How about some more info on that motor "crate motor" really don't mean a darn thing.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Crate 318 motor;stock compression new engine.Added goodies,alum intake,4 bbl carter/weber,RV cam unknown modle,headers,2 1/2 " exhaust,flow masters,new distributor,hipo electronics;coil,wires,plugs,ect.Thanks RR
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 05:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well a stock 318 really is no power house for pulling. And with out knowing the cam specs it is hard to say. Intake, carb, headers, ect really wont help you much if the the rest of the motor can't take advantage of it.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 09:08 PM

Hi mopar mudder, hows those new 39.5 boggers? Are they much better than your old sx's? I never can tell much of a difference when I switch swampers, they all pull through most stuff I send them thru...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2002, 08:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well to tell you the truth I only made one run in the mud with them so far when out in NE for Ram Jam and took reverse out and the front drive shaft. They worked just fine out in CA for Dodge City. So I have been to busy wokin on building new front suspension and swaping over to an automatic. Plus puting a R/C together. But next week end we have a deal coming up, will get more test time then, I can tell you they are more "interesting" on the road then the SX's were.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2002, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I am in great hopes the dyno will help bring in the engine torque band.I may go to 4:88s to help with the towing if the torque does not work out.I plan on doing power steering.Do you know what year/model pump/box I need to get the parts from to put on my truck.I heard 1/2 ton dodge but dont know what year to look for,Thanks for the help,RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode