Newbie w/vent window q - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 03:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Newbie w/vent window q

Howdy All!

Just joined this list the other day after my brother gave me the URL. I am a MOPAR fanatic, I have a '69 Charger undergoing restification (soon to be 440 4spd car) and my daily runner is a '87 RamCharger 318 AT, 2WD. I live in Austin, TX.

This morning I discovered some scumbag broke my driver's door vent window and ransacked my newly rehabbed interior. Glove box is destroyed along with the glass, my new carpet is soaked with last nights rain. The good news is as I was cleaning up the glass the Austin PD detective drove up and had all of my stolen items he had just recovered in his front seat! Even my tire guage! The moron who did it is in jail on felony charges from breaking into a building nearby.

Onto the question. It looks like the vent glass is glued onto the two pivot studs. Is it possible to scour the local junk yards and find (hopefully) used glass and separate the glass from the pivots or I am stuck with getting new glass. Is there a way to dissolve the glue without breaking the glass?

I looked in my shop manual and I DO NOT want to tear into the whole door to remove the whole assembly so I hope someone out there has some info

No worries

Chris

P.S. I have submitted a "tech" article about replacing your carpet, headliners and most of the weather stripping. Hope it makes it onto the list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 09:17 PM

Re: Newbie w/vent window q

I don't have any idea about that, but an auto glass shop could shed some light on that for you. Up here in Mass if you have a step above basic insurance, they will pay to have it fixed. Also you can get all things repaired through your insurance since it was vandilism with no surcharge points but there is a deductible... Good luck, and welcome to the board!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 02:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks superswamper,

I am not calling the insurance as my deductible is $500. Even the most outrageous quote was $236. I'm very limited on funds so I am trying to do this el cheapo.

Cheers

Chris

P.S. Not sure why "poet" shows up under my id, but it should read pilot if anything!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 09:00 PM

If the cops caught him, have the cops take him to court for the damages so you don't have to pay for anything... He is responsible for his actions, was the stuff stolen worth over a $1000, grand theft! You can get all paid for since the cops found your stuff in his car... Press the cops for it or you'll never get anywhere, good luck!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 01:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Howdy Sswamper,

I'm thinking your screen name has something to do with your choice of tires? How are they noise wise if you use them on the road?

You are right about the $$$. I'm waiting for the cops to finish the paper work on the case so I can get on with nailing this jerk. He is acutally going to jail for felony breaking and entering; same night he busted into a nearby building. I'm pretty sure all my stuff doesn't add up to $1,000, heck I'd be lucky if the whole truck did!

For now I have a cardboard/grocery bag/duct tape contraption covering my vent window. Still hunting junk yards. Hard to find unmolested glass and a matching color glove box.

Unrelated question; Did the center console have some sort of insert in it? My is just a large unlocked box but it looks like it may have had an inner liner or something.

No worries

Chris
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 09:50 PM

Most swampers are loud escepially boggers! I love them but that damn shaking stinks with big mudders... I still would buy them though, they are mean tires offroad!
The console ? is beyond me, sorry...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode