Wanted reviews of the 2500 w/ Cummings - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 06:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wanted reviews of the 2500 w/ Cummings

I am in the market for a heavy duty truck for towing(A Jeep on a two axle trailer) I have been looking all over for a magazine that has done a review of all the models(ie Chevy HD,Ford HD,Dodge)head to head would be best. Anyone know of one? I am leaning toward the 2500, but just want to make sure I am not missing anything.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 09:21 PM

Re: Wanted reviews of the 2500 w/ Cummings

Maybe try car and driver magazine or online.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2002, 12:44 AM
Mud in my Veins

the new Cummins motor hands down! it's supposed to be putting out over 300 hp stock! i assume you mean a brand new truck? i think that new motor comes out with the 2003 models so you might have to wait a couple months... i cant remember when they come out each year. the biggest thing to watch out for is the tranny. unless it comes with an Allison automatic, get a stick! any "big 3"-made auto tranny is going to give you fits before too long. i'm not sure who has the strongest stick, but dodge usually has a HD piece made by New Venture so i bet that'd work fine. But if you're looking for ideas beyond my opinions [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img], I'm not sure where to turn. Most magazines take into account stupid crap like styling and useless features instead of paying attention to which one will bust a tranny at 50k miles. GMC's rear steer is nice but not as nice as having a truck at 220k miles with no major repairs [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The 4x4 magazines sometimes do head to head tests of new 4x4 trucks and they're good about giving technical details of the drivetrain etc and dont deal with cheesy features, so keep an eye out for that too. Trailer Life and similar RV-type magazines also do reviews of individual vehicles peridically so check them out too. good luck, choose wisely [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2002, 08:33 PM
Keyboard Implanted

new or old cummins hands down and for pulling it cant hardly be beat.

the new cummins puts out 305 hp the ford puts out 350hp but doesnt have the tourge, and makes it power higher in the rpm range.

me personaly Id try and find a 98.5 truck and older because they dont have the computer junk and being only 12 valve isnt bad.

dont go off horepower rateings go off tourge and where its made.

actualy dont go off rateing go out drive a ford and dodge and get wichever you like best, dodge will get better mpg pull better cause it ,makes more tourge in lower range, but the ford will pull ahead of the cummins if its able to oull the rpms like getting good run at a hill, the ford wont get the fuel milege the cummins gets, Ive seen new fords get as low as 12 intown 14 on the road. cummins get 18-20 unloaded with a few getting in 20-22 range.

both are good trucks. 2500 0r 3500 though the dodge 2500 is heavier duty that the ford 2500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode