$$$ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2002, 01:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

$$DIESEL$$

I have a 99 3/4 cumming and im only gettin about 13 to 15mpg! What is the average cause i talk to a guy that has the same thing and he is gettn 20! It dosnt feel like its pulln right either, i have had it hooked up at 4 dif places around oklahoma and they have no idea what up wit it there sayn the comp says its fine? ANy ideas!!??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 02:50 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: $$DIESEL$$

every time i run into a guy in a cummins i ask him how he likes his truck... they all say mileage is over 20 on the highway unloaded. if you have low gears in the rear you probably wont get that kinda mileage though, and i hear duallies get slightly less mileage also. i know diesels start sucking back on fuel above 2k rpm or so... where does your tach stay when you're on the highway in OD? or is that city driving? it might be a clogged catalytic convertor or maybe a tranny problem if its automatic.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 09:33 PM

Its the older 12 valve cummins that got the good mileage, the new 24 valve motors I heard got around 17???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 02:37 AM
SHOTGUN

24 Valves use more fuel than 12 valves do, and in 98.5 Dodge made the (bad) swap to the 24 valves. So your 99 has the 24 Valve, and watch out because the 24 V's go through lift pumps fairly often. You didn't specify 4x4 or 4x2, manual or auto, but with 13-15mpg I'm gonna guess its 4x4 auto. Automatics also get a little less mileage than manuals do.

One thing you need on a 24 Valve <font color=blue>Cummins</font color=blue>(not Cumming) is a fuel pressure guage, along with Boost and Exhaust gas temperature guages if you tow a lot. Also if you truck is an auto and you tow regularly invest in a good tranny cooler. It will pay for itself because Cummins love to eat up Automatics.

I don't tow very much with my 97 but I still added the Boost and EGT guages to key and eye on the motor.

A good site to check out is <a target="_blank" href=http://www.turbodieselregistry.com>www.turbodieselregistr y.com</a>. It cost's $35 a year to join, but its well worth it. You can go through and read the discussion forums without being a member, but you won't be able to post. Look for my username "Got Smoke?"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 05:35 PM
Apprentice

16 to 18 mpg in town 20 to 21 mpg on the freeway unloaded , 12 mpg in flat ground pulling a 30' 5th wheel. 99 with auto and 3.50 gear ratio.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2002, 09:24 AM

Hey bogger101, with you having that name, do you ride on 44" boggers? b-101 is the product code for 44/15" boggers. I miss my old 35" boggers, damn things worn out to quick on my 2500...:-(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode