516 Heads - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 07:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

516 Heads

I have a project wagoneer going that I want to swap to big block mopar, so I recently aquired a 413. The guy says it has 516 heads on it, and I don't know that much about mopar. Are these heads anything special?? My plans are to use the truck for towing/moderate 4wheeling, I want to run pump gas with torque at off idle to 3 or 4 grand. I don't see this engine seeing much above 4000 rpm very often. The 413 bottom end is suppose to be stock with about 30k miles on it. One head is suppose to have a "maybe problem" with a valve, would I be better off to rebuild these heads or swap to something else?? Any response appreciatted, TIA a bunch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 11:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 516 Heads

Hi. You might be better off looking for a set of newer heads from a mid-70's 400 or 440 (These will be the 456 casting #). The 516 heads, unless they have been redone, don't have hardened seats in them for unleaded gas use. The have closed chambers as well which is going to give you a 10 to 1 Compression ration, if not higher. This could be a problem with todays gas as well, especially if you are going to be doing towing and stuff. The 456 heads are open chamber and will give you about a 9:1 compression ratio. The 516 and 456 numbers are the last three digits of the head casting number. You can easily find it after taking off the valve cover when you start your search.

The engine otherwise is a great piece. BB Mopars are bullit proof. This engine will also have a forged crank in it. You will get torque nubers in the range of 450 lbs-ft. Don't go spend lots of money on cams and intakes either. If you want even more torque, go get a stock 440 HP cam from your local auto parts store. Look on ebay for a late 60's - early 70's 440 HP intake or just get an Edelbrock Performer. You will be totally blown away when you step on the gas the first time.

If you have any more questions, please ask.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 11:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry, The casting number on the newer heads is 452 not 456. I always do that...Some kind of mental block.

I also just remembered that I have a set of these heads. The 452's that is. They are bare, but you could use the Intake valves out of your 516's and just get new 1.74" exhaust valves for them. I will take $50 for them. Let me know where you are located.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 05:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mud, thanks very much for the good info, yep 10 to 0ne doesn't sound like what I'm looking for. I don't plan to start this project until next spring (two others ahead of it) and I got a little ahead of myself buying the 413, I need to check a couple of other resources ( I work part time at a parts store and may have a line on rebuilt with a core deal) but your offer sounds pretty good, especially since I'm going to rebuild the heads anyway. Let me get back to you in email. BTW I'm in the Kansas City area. Thanks again -T
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 08:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

No problem, I aim to please. I know what you mean about too many projects. I finally narrowed myself down to two..
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 09:37 PM
Keyboard Implanted

A big block MoPar in a Waggie sounds like a cool project! Make sure to let us know how it goes. My future plans for my CJ-7 are to put in a late model 360 with MPI. I am a Dodge guy from waaaaaay back and would really like the same power in my Jeep that our Durango has![img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 10:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Did you check out Novak Adapters' website? They have mounts now to put a Mopar SB into Jeeps. That is what I'm doing to my 80 CJ7! 360, NP435 Dodge trans. They have the adapter for the Dodge NP435 to Dana 300 transfer case. Gotta love it!

www.novak-adapt.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode