1998 Dodge Ram Dually Brake Problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

1998 Dodge Ram Dually Brake Problem

I have a question for you guys. My dad has a 1998 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually. The truck has the Cummins 24-valve engine and 5-speed manual, with an aftermarket Jacobs Brake on the exhaust. He thinks he has the Dana 80 out back and the truck is 2wd. The truck has a work body on the back and weighs about 12000 lbs all the time. He had new rear springs put on to return the truck to stock ride. He already had his 96 Dodge replaced for the same reason on the lemon law. The question i have is this. The front pads wear unevenly, the outside of the pad wears more than the inside of the pad. Under braking the truck pulls in one direction but not always the same direction, it will either pull left or right. Also the rear brakes dont adjust themsleves. The truck basically doesnt like to stop. The first thing we are thinking is putting on bigger wheel cylinders in the rear, does anyone know where to get aftermarket wheel cylinders? Anyone have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 05:23 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: 1998 Dodge Ram Dually Brake Problem

i doubt bigger wheel cylinders will help you out, though a rear disc conversion would. you can probably use factory parts for the rear conversion since those trucks probably had a rear disc option, and might even come standard with discs now. discs vs non-adjusted drums would make all the difference in the world and would extend the life of the front brakes too. that is weird about the uneven wear on the front pads, maybe the calipers arent sliding right, or the wheel bearings are loose?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 07:29 PM

Here's a result of a search I did for ya, believe it or not it's from an old post "Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 06:07:14 -0800 From: [email protected] (DiRT digest Reply-To: "
Here's the link --> <a target="_blank" href=http://www.ecpe.vt.edu/~dfritz/mail_lists/dirt_archive/99-12/V2_2804.txt>http://www.ecpe.vt.edu/~dfritz/mail_lists/dirt_archive/99-12/V2_2804.txt</a>
It has the part # and price for the rear disk conv kit, (about half-way down the post).
As far as the front brake deal, they cover something about the ABS system being disabled by the Dealer to fix a prob..
I might have gotten confused, puter's scare me, that's why I have a '77 RC.. Good Luck and Keep 'Em MuDDy..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2002, 09:40 PM

I don't have a Dually Ram, but the front brake pads on my 1500 also wear unevenly. On my truck the inside pad wears faster. I also have a problem with the front pads wearing much faster than the rears. My truck has 98k miles and I've replaced the front pads 5 times and the rotors once. The rear shoes are still the original ones though. When it was still under warrenty I took it to the stealer to see if the proportioning valve was working. Of course they said it was all working correctly. It does brake the rear wheels when I put it up on stand though? I've also read on other boards that the newer body style Rams have front braking issues similar to what I and your dad have experianced. I jsut make a habit of pulling the wheels off my truck every 5k miles to check pad wear.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 12:17 AM

i also have dodge ram with some serious braking issues. the problem is that the rear drums feel like sticking. any suggestions 'bout this kind of issue? thanks in advance.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode