summit headers installed - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

summit headers installed

I just installed my new headers yesterday with only 2 bolts snapped but unfortunately both broke on the driverside in the back. I drilled into it but the easy out even snapped and the damn hardened steel doesn't drill out easy so for now the heck with it...The other hole I drilled off center so I didn't even try to easy out it...
Now I noticed my steering shaft has a bad ujoint at the bottom with a lot of play, I ordered a new shaft from summit so probaly here thursday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 08:31 AM
aarcuda

Re: summit headers installed

Its hard to drill the head with it installed isnt it (at least its hard to drill straight). I did the same thing on my first car- A 63 Ford fairlane 500. broke the easy out in the head also because I drill crooked. I found out (as you did) that easy out dont like to be drilled!!

luckily my grandfather was a machinist and he "burned it out". i dont know how but he did. I had to take the head off for him to do it.

Hopefully, you wont have any exhaust leaks. Headers arent as stiff as cast iron and tend to warp easily which results in exhaust leaks. good luck!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 07:53 PM

Re: summit headers installed

Well, I feel your pain dude...
When I ordered my New* headers from Summit, hmm maybe Jegs.. anywho.. I broke 2 bolts also, One on the passenger rear ( which is right below the A/C box ), and the other .. Yes you said it right.. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] on the rear of the drivers under the booster. On my 440 the header bolts go into the water jackets.. Hope urs don't..
I broke 2 Eaz-outs on the drivers side, after removing the Brake Booster, and relized I would never get it out cause I drilled it of-center also ( used a 90 deg angle grinder to drill it...Don't know what I was thinking ) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Luckily a Performance shop had a set of Rebuilt *Hi-Po* heads in stock.. so I just changed em.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode