99 Dodge Ram Sport 1500????? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2002, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

99 Dodge Ram Sport 1500?????

My friend Andrew got a 99 Ram Sport 1500 a couple of months ago, his tires are getting pretty bald, and they are the stock ones. He was wondering how big of tires he could get on his 1/2 ton axles. Im not sure what they are, and he said that whatever amount of lift that was nesescarly would be ok. I was thinking around 33s, am i right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 10:44 PM

Re: 99 Dodge Ram Sport 1500?????

I've seen people with 44's on 1/2 ton axles, even 1hidodge had 39.5's on his 1500... I heard that a 36" should be max according to another that told me. A 5" skyjacker lift should fit that size tire.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 02:35 AM
Mud in my Veins

there is a BIG difference between mud running with open differentials and climbing boulders with lockers front and rear, and this is where people get their lines crossed. you can break a 1/2 ton axle pretty easy with 33" TSL's and lockers if you are horsing it while rock crawling, but in the mud you can get away with 40's or even 44's if you dont have lots of torque in the motor... i've seen it done plenty of times. you wont exactly be throwing mud with 44" tires (they are HEAVY) and a stock small block but it'd be tough to get high-centered with 1/2 ton axles under there. you can run 35's with no problems easy, that's what i'd do, 33's are just big enough to get ya in trouble [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 06:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I broke plenty of parts in my axles running them 39"ers..Snapped the front axle shafts,blew up the rear end twice..1st time was with 33"ers,ring gear decided to eat itself,and that eat up the rest of the axle ..And with the 39" I did wheel her pretty hard,but mostly sand and mud..After I had my truck lifted and running 39's and the 3.55(stock gears),the front only lasted three GOOD wheeling trips.stock gears and parts cant handle all that weight and abuse for too long..the rear lasted about a year and 3/4,and that was even with 4.56 gears and a limited slip..So if you are gonna wheel your truck at least some what hard,go ahead and drop an few extra coins down on a 2500...Cause once you start eating parts it would have been cheaper in the long run..just my two cents..Eric
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 07:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

okay,now i feel like a dork..thats what 3 and a half hours of sleep will do to you..went and re-read that post,and for some reason,before I posted I was only able to read the last post,no others...I was running 33"ers with no lift on my 1500.was a lil rubbing here and there..with three more inches on that pig,you can strap on some 35" mudders..
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 08:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My wife just recently purcahsed the same truck, it came with the 285/75 r16 on it little problem they told me the cant ajust the speed o' meter at all on those years. but you can proble rip the rubber right off the stock 225s just fartin' around with the 5.9 magnum.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 05:27 AM
Mud in my Veins

if it's an electronic speedo, you can probably use superlift's signal calibrator to get it right. if it's mechanical, you might be able to get another gear from the dealership. they put various tire sizes and gear ratios in their trucks, they have to be able to calibrate them somehow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode