177k cummins smokes under acceleration - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

177k cummins smokes under acceleration

just wondering if this is normal, Im pretty sure tune up could fix this. it smokes some at start up and then after its warm it only does it with my foot barried through the floor. it pulls hard its got 4" exhaust with a converter and no muffler

thius is a truck Im looking at getting so I thought Id ask first

Evan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 01:49 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: 177k cummins smokes under acceleration

what color smoke? if it's black then yeah it's probably normal, but dont bet the farm on what i say about diesels. does it sound pretty sweet with that exhaust? and how much $$$? i'm still thinking bout getting me a diesel but i dont know if it's really worth it since i'm not going to be pulling anything over 7000 lbs. try www.turbodieselregister.com for everything you ever wanted to know (and then some) about CTD's. they have forums too so ask over there. good luck, i hope you get one so you can tell me how fun it is, then i'll have to get one and pull dump trucks around just for fun [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2002, 01:00 AM
SHOTGUN

Re: 177k cummins smokes under acceleration

Kid if its Black its normal. Is this a stick-shift? (I know that's what you were wanting, and the only one I'd recommend!)

If so, then what gear are you starting out in? I always start out in 2nd gear and 9 times outta 10 mine blows out some smoke if I don't keep it at about 1K-1100K RPM when I let out on the clutch. Especially if it goes to bog it will smoke.

You said that truck has a 4" exhaust which leads me to believe that might not be all the add on's it has. I want you to check something out. Read carefully because I don't know if you'll understand.

Ok from the left side of the truck looking at the motor you will see the injector pump with the lines coming out of the top. Look back towards the firewall. You will see a small box type deal with a BIG hump in it. That's the AFC housing (Air/Fuel Control housing I believe) the top right corner and bottom 2 screws should be removeable with a screwdriver and/or rachet. HOWEVER in the top left had corner the factory installs a "tamper proof screw" that only has a little hole and its rounded so it cannot be removed.

<font color=blue>Check and see if that tamper proof screw is still there.</font color=blue>

If its NOT and it had been replaced with a removeable screw than someone has done one of 3 things. They have either added a new Cam/Torque plate to boost the power, adjusted the factory Cam/Torque plate to do the same, or they might have removed the AFC spring in the top part of the AFC housing.

That last one would really cause the truck to smoke![img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

But if you are really interested in that truck because its cheaper than check that out and that will tell you if its been messed with / turned up. Anyways anything else you have me email.

Keep me posted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode