damn front gears shot again - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2002, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

damn front gears shot again

I changed the fluid in the front axle since it drinks water on occasion and noticed 3 teeth missing on the outer part of the ring gear and again the pinion/yoke is loose but the pinion nut doesn't look like its moved. This is weird that both times the pinion has loosened up without the nut moving??? Is the pinion bearing keep failing or what, any ideas? I doubt the mechanic will replace them again free.

Or will I have to order those 2 1/2 ton rockwells........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2002, 07:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: damn front gears shot again

DOPE / find somebody that can do it right / you cant get better than DANA 60,s so somebodys F*CKING UP and costing you lots of money / that or just order two new DANA 60,s from CURRIE or somebody it mite be cheaper in the long run / you mite have a bad housing / you mite be a YAHOO and its all your fault / WE just got six inches of snow last night[THRU] so if you come out it will be muddy this weekend for the Quads / later and that sucks about the DIFF //// DEANO
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2002, 08:49 AM
aarcuda

I tend to think maybe yahooing might have something to do with it!! Abuse means breakage although its hard to correlate the two in your situation. Pinion getting loose with the nut moving??? crush sleeve giving in? Maybe your excessive drivetrain angles during you car climbing is pushing and pulling your pinion in and out of the case and deforming the crush sleeve. I dont even know if the 60 uses a crush sleeve- does it or is it all shims??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2002, 06:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The is no reason why the 60 should not hold up to what you have / use it for. Sounds like your pinion bearings are going to hell and the carnage begins. My gut feeling is the way the gears are being set up.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2002, 08:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

THE DANA 60 is all shims it should never ever loose its pre-load / a dana 60 should last for ever with 36 38 40 44 inch tires with a slant six / put an 800 horse 440 behind it and then we mite have problems / with a junk 360 in a 97 DODGE with 42,s blowin dana 60,s / something is wrong / pull out the double barrel were go,in huntin / I can see the hole in your a$$hole from here to boston / BOBBY I,m not try,in to be crude or rude but your gettin [email protected] / dont let VAL see this she,ll take are crayollas away / what are you gonna do now / you cant just suck it up again and pay for it / BULLSH!T / let me know dude and MOPAR TO YA //////////////////// DEANO
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2002, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

I haven't even called the guy who did it the last time but I did contact a highly recommended guy thats done these several times and for $300 labor and just the one day he can fix it up hopefully right. He has a 2 week wait though. I could pull the axles and/or the driveshaft and still drive, its not noisy yet so thats good.
I bought the gears through drive train warehouse in calif and they have a "no question asked warranty" so i'll try to get the ring/ pinion for free to save the $200 cost but will still need a new master install kit $100+. I did try last time only 3 weeks after I bought them new and they said it must have been installed wrong since both sets died...

Hey deano it did snow here a slight bit around 11:00pm after several hours of rain. I would love to come up to go quading but...and I am booked with side jobs.

Sighhhh!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2002, 09:58 PM
Mud in my Veins

oooh oooh, ROCKWELL TIME! There's no way the 360 is wrenching those gears, my guess is that the water is eating your pinion bearings over time, and then the pinion gets cocked a little and wears at the wrong place on the gears. How is water getting into your axle? I used to have that problem before the breather lines and my pinion bearings would go out... hasnt happened since i extended the breather lines up to the engine compartment. Good luck, and MOPARTS to ya! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

<font color=green> Hey Deano, I emailed dyna trac and currie enterprises and neither one responded. I wouldn't buy them but just wondering how much they were probaly $5000 each. For that much I would ask our buddy Daniel to send me the set of completely done rockwells from usa 6x6 for his price of $3500 and install them. God would I have some serious off the line power with 672:1 gearing. That would make my wimpy 360 feel like that big 440 is under the hood. Going from my 4:10 to the 5:13 didn't do much to the rpm's, 65 is about 2200rpm from 18-1900 with 38's and overdrive. John's ford ran at 3000rpm with 38's and no overdrive at 65mph with 4:10's... </font color=green>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2002, 12:31 PM
raminaredickson

DODGEBOYS BANDED

HOWDY GUYS / I saw the post on <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dodgetrucks.org/>http://www.dodgetrucks.org/</a> that the DODGEBOYS was banded for the posts above / it is a little crude but not that BAD / a good stiff warning not to do it again / but to be banded for good / somebody didnt like it or him / I,m new to the board so I,ll guesse I,ll watch it from now on / keep it muddy and later // RAMIN
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2002, 03:24 PM
aarcuda

Re: DODGEBOYS BANNED

Well thats odd. I thought the rules were (straight from the faq section):

What are the rules?

Registration as a User implies acceptance of the following terms and conditions:
- Participants shall not post any material likely to cause offence, that is protected by copyright, trademark or other proprietary right - without the express permission of the owner of such copyright - or that contains personal phone numbers or addresses.
- Participants may not use the Forums to post or transmit advertisements or commercial solicitations of any kind.
- The appropriate Forum Moderator has the right to edit, censor, delete or otherwise modify any posted message.
- This web site does not verify or guarantee the accuracy of the material posted to the Forums or bear any responsibility for any loss, damage, or other liabilities caused by any posted message.

So I guess they are saying that the dodgeboys post was liekly to offend??? How so? I would appeal. that is just wrong. This is an off-road forum and I didnt think people were so thin skinned- oops, I hope I didnt offend the thin skinned folk out there. geez, my grandma talks worse than that (and she doesnt use $$ or @'s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode