Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Dodge 4x4 vehicles (https://forums.off-road.com/dodge-4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   Exhaust Recommendation (https://forums.off-road.com/dodge-4x4-vehicles/115371-exhaust-recommendation.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 04-10-2002 07:09 PM

Exhaust Recommendation

I just got a 2002 Ram 1500 5.9 4x4 Quad cab. I am looking to put an exhaust system. However, I am not sure on which system to go with? Some say that Flowmaster is great but at 65 mph the noise can be very annoying. I hear Gibson and Borla is great but I have not heard enough about them. I just want something that sounds good and is great on the gas milage but not over bearing in noise. Can you help a brother out???

**DONOTDELETE** 04-10-2002 10:06 PM

Re: Exhaust Recommendation

I have two chamber flowmasters on my 88 Mustang GT and they are loud. Three chambers are supposed to flow just as good but are quieter. Borlas are stainless steel and come with a million mile warranty but they are also the most expensive. I would guess the gibson system is somewhere in the middle. Any decent after cat system should perform well it's usually just a matter of quality and how much money you want to spend. I also have 87 RC and none of those presitgious companies bother to make a system for my truck. I had a custom setup built six years ago when I was stationed in Europe. No Cat, Full duals with Dynomax mufflers, sound was close to stock, power and milage were the same as stock. The mufflers lasted two years and rusted out. ( they use lots of salt over there) I replaced them with Thrush turbo mufflers, sound was louder but not annoying like the stang. Mileage and power stayed the same. I returned last summer and had everything returned to stock to meet emissions. Nice and quite no change in milage or power. Hope this rambling helps you out.

bigwishlist 04-10-2002 11:38 PM

I would get headers. They make more power most of the time. Sure there more expensive but well worth it. Headers also give the truck a killer sound that you cant get with just muffler. Them you can do a free flow exhaust and muffler.As far as mufflers go I perfer a 2 chamber flomaster 40.

**DONOTDELETE** 05-08-2002 12:06 AM

I have a '01 Ram 4x4 360 Quad and had the same dillema. The BEST deal I found was buying a Summit cat back dual system for, I think, $189. It comes with two 3" tailpipes, a throaty but mellow muffler, a intermediate pipe, and the pipe that connects to the catalyst. That pipe is long enough to use on the longer trucks, so it had to be sawed off to length for my truck. If you email or call Summit they can inform you if this system will work on your '02. I would like to use shorty headers, but it would be a sin to use un-coated ones on a new truck and the coated or stainless ones are OUTRAGIOUSLY expensive and some sets DO require some cutting and welding, making it a more complicated task. This dual system gave me between 1~2 mpg, and sounds very good. Sounds like horsepower, not a noisey muffler. I also bought a couple of cans of Hi-temp ceramic header paint and coated all of the pipes and clamps to keep them nice. Also added a pair of chrome tips for the finishing touch.

bigwishlist 05-08-2002 11:24 PM

Some times buying uncoated headers and having them coated locally is cheaper than buying precoated headers.