v-10 or I-6 edit-cummins for sure - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2002, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

v-10 or I-6 edit-cummins for sure

as most of you know Ive been looking for 94plus cummins in reg cab long bed. in the ball park of 10-14k. havent found anything so far. but there is a 94 V-10 long bed reg cab at a local dealer, its and auto with 113k miles on it. to many miles I think and the truck was farm truck so its pretty dang beat, hood rattles up and down exhuast leaks, seat motor is about wore out had to pull myself forward to adjust the seat.

anyways I was just wondering what you guys think of your v-10s I hear a stock 10 will out pull a stock cummins? whats the longeveity on the gasser I wouldnt have hesitated if this truck was cummins and a five speed but its the v-10 and aut that scare me.

I know I should and will wait for cummins but thought Id see what you all think about the V-10s.

ohhhhh and whats this I hear about dodge frames being weak? is that just rumor? I hope well actualy I dont care I set on dodge.

Id apreciat and opions on this, so if you have the time feel free to give me a few words

thankx
Evan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2002, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Re: v-10 or I-6 edit-cummins for sure

hmmmmm no ones got a 488 resting under there hood?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2002, 10:52 PM

I wish I had a 488 cu in v-10 instead of my 360! I have no problems with my frame that i'm aware of but there was a recall on the coil supports where its welded onto the frame. They just reinforce it and it was only on very few ram 2500/3500's. I climb up on everything I come across with only cracks around my steering box bolts, welded it up and its good to go...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2002, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I had that v-10 running and there was this line running to the injectors with cap missing with scrader valve in it so i was like hmmm lets see what this does so i hit that little valve and fule come spraying out of there, the sales guys like hollly and i go ohhh that must fuel the injectors. lol that was funny

Ive just heard that in wrecks and stuff the frames seem to be weaker, and when they have utily lift beds on them. Ive also heard of a few frames folding when turning tralers because of alot of tourge on them.
just what Ive heard. but Im still gona get cummins

thankx for the reply

Evan
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2002, 01:27 AM
Mud in my Veins

ahahahah, got a spray did you? yeah swamper, a 488 would really help churn up the 48" tires! if i end up putting 40's on the bronco, i'm dumping 1 ton axles and a 460 in it cuz the small block aint gonna cut it in the mud. when tire height fails you all you have left is wheelspin, and you need cubes and HP to do that! plus it's a helluva lot better show at the mud races, and telling people you have a big block boggin bronco is kinda cool too [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2002, 10:35 PM

Funny you brought up the 48's, one of the 4x4 mags had a nice ford with 2 1/2 rockwells and 48" goodyear tractor tires on it... I was at a local goodyear dealer a month ago and saw a display for them old 48's, unfortunately only rated up to 30 mph! I wish I got the price for them and for the ones that will fit my truck, max 44" tall, and my truck has only a little articulation or major fender eating with 44's... I would probaly need to special order some rims to hold those tires for sure. http://www.goodyearag.com/tirecatalog/STG_XTSize.html
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 12:43 AM
Mud in my Veins

yeah i can tell you just by looking at them that you dont want to haul [censored] with those suckers on asphalt. but really if you look at how much weight they are rated for and how much you're actually going to be putting on them, you've got quite a safety margin. Those are sweet tires but you'd be looking at 1000 pounds just for the tires, add rims and air and thats a lot of rotating mass to get going, even for a big block. I was actually pondering "the ultimate mudder" the other day with a built 460 and rockwells, and here are a couple more tires i came across:

Firestone Agriculture All Traction Utility - size 16.9-24
it has a 51.9" diameter and is 16.9" wide, but only weighs 148 pounds

Firestone Agriculture Flotation 23* 48x25.0-20
size says it all, but still only 162 pounds

Michelin XM27 Utility & Industrial Tubeless 425/75R20
it's 45" tall and 16.7" wide, not sure on weight but rated at 55mph

I was mainly looking for big tractor/industrial tires that dont weigh a ton, because wheelspin is a lot more fun than just floating over everything. These tires should still have tons of floatation ability for a 9000 lb truck. The weights of the tires are probably not much more than a 44" bogger and would really churn up the swamp bottom. i dont know how much you could find one for, but an Allison v12 aircraft motor puts out 1400 HP stock, you'd have a real live monster truck with that under the hood!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 11:20 AM
Old Hand

The frame on the dodge bent b/c of pulling a trailer, that seems hard to picture, but i guess anythigs possible. The other day I say a 95?? ram rearend a superduty. I was talking to the shop, the ram was totaled, the s.d. only needed a bed and bumper, frame and trailer hitch was good. The frames on the 02 rams look pretty sturdy, boxed all the way back.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

thats just what I heard, guess theres no saying realy. but offcourse this is the wrong forumn to be asking if the frames or week, Im sure if Id of asked ford or chevy one that therd be few saying there weak
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 10:32 PM
Apprentice

I'd wait unless it's a really good deal. A diesel will get better mileage and last longer.
Also I don't think a gasser will out pull a diesel, and besides a diesel can really be turned up to make some serious torque, while making even better mileage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode