Welding spider gears - Lincoln Locker - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2002, 09:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Welding spider gears - Lincoln Locker

I have been reading intently every thread that I can find on the subject of Lincoln Locking differentials. The arguments for and against are consistant and some good information on doing the welding is also available. However, I stumbled upon an old post by a member that is no longer registered (screaminram - 01/20/00), who suggests instead of welding the gears to the carrier, that a better method is to weld a bead in a couple of the webs of one of the spider gears and then re-installing it. Conceptially, the method seems sound, but i have never heard of anyone doing this. Have any of you Guru types heard of this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2002, 11:28 PM

Re: Welding spider gears - Lincoln Locker

Well you can go here---><a target="_blank" href=http://txmudders.tripod.com>http://txmudders.tripod.com</a> and enter then go to the Tech/Junk link and read what happened to me. I ripped my Diff. in half leaving a driveline shop. Turned the corner tooooo sharp, so now I have a Detroit Locker.
If your gonna continue to drive your truck on the street, I don't personally recommend welding the spider gears. If it's a trailored 4x4 to the mud then sure why not it's cheaper.
The Detroit Locker effectively eliminates binding of the rear axles by releasing the lock, allowing the axles to turn at diff speeds when you turn. That cannot happen when you weld the spiders, resulting in "something" giving.
In my case the Dana 60's differntial tore in half, literally.

Hope that helps brings some light to your decision.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 12:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks ronknott32. I have been researching this for a while. I have read a number of arguments both for and against welding the spider gears, and I am solid on the technical details of the results. Ive talked to welding guys and gotten their reccomendations on techniques and tech details for that end. Now I am researching the procedure. Most of the posts that I have read basically say you should weld as many things in there together as you can - with the exception of the cross post, ring and pinion - big surprise. However, I stumbled upon an old post from 2 years ago that mentioned pulling one of the spider gears and welding in a couple of the webs. This seems to me to maybe be a better way to do it because you will heat soak the part easier during welding and avoid cracking the welds or the cast iron carrier due to heat variation in the part (which is what I think probably happened to you - did you ever get that carrier magnafluxed?). It also puts the weld in compression rather than tension/shear like when you weld the spiders to the carrier. I am just curious to see if anyone else had heard of this or maybe even tried this method.

Considering the shear amount of stick that has been burned on diffs over the years, SOMEONE must have seen this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 05:49 PM

No I didn't have the carrier Mag'd, but I didn't weld them to the carrier either. =)
Robert a former friend of mine, wire welded the spiders together, on the points of contact only. But it may have heat soaked the carrier, I'll never know.
I think he knew the carrier was cracked when he sold it to me, so lesson learned..
Sounds like your got your bases covered, so good luck to ya.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 01:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Have you checked out this page yet?-><a target="_blank" href=http://www.alloffroad.com/issue/2000/october/contents/lincon_locker.htm>clicky</a>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 01:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I hadnt. Its helpful, thanks. Great information, great article. This is the kind of thing that I had seen before and seems like a rational method. being a welder type guy (like it says in your profile) and an off-roader, I have got to ask you, have you seen anyone take one gear out and weld up a couple of the webs and re-install it? If not, does it make sense to you as a possible alternative to the fully welded pack like in that article. The logic as I see it is that you get to avoid cracking and at the same time allow the diff just a little bit of movement. the only down side that i can see are that there might be a little bit of windup shock on the driveline.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 02:08 PM

don't know if this is revelant but here is how they do it on a chevy 14 bolt:
http://coloradok5.com/welded14bolt.shtml
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 02:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

YES!!! That is highly relevant! exacly what i was looking for. Thank you very much fishnhunt. I would have never found that on my own. Now the question is....does it cause any problems other than the standard spool-like issues?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 06:11 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Yes I have talked to a couple guys and read an article or 2 about that and I'm not going to say it couldn't or wouldn't work but have heard of a couple instances where there was what I would refer to as "catastrophic failure" of the differential and housing. I do not know the exact details of how said carriers were welded just that they had sum of the teeth welded as in the other article posted by fishnhunt. I personaly say go for it and post back letting all know how it goes! Myself, I'm going to weld my front diff. solid (as in the article I posted) and put an ARB in the back, don't much care about the front cause if I upgrade it's going to be to something stronger than a Dana 30.[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 06:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

howdy / my two cents worth / just welding the web as you call it to stop movement and give the driveline some shock relief / ANY movement at all with destroy the diff/ just welding the webs the gears will try to rotate over the welds and push the case apart under high loads / the ones I,ve seen done and have lasted used spare spider gears from another diff chop sawed in half and welded in / <font color=red>like a door stop</font color=red> / hope this helps and MOPAR TO YA //////////// DEANO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 721216-Mar19_000.jpg (27.1 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode